Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exploring Possibility of an Investment Roundtable Conference in Alaska

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@AudubonB - please know that our offer to stay in our Sprinter van or tent was simply to help support what we believed would be a high potential need for overflow space. Should you not reach full capacity for this event, we would of course appreciate the opportunity to rent any one of the four log cabins if they are available. Given your wonderful location and the opportunity to gather TMC members we immediately envisioned a very full house. In addition to the conversation around Tesla and a more sustainable future, we are also looking forward to hearing about your work around Alaska and in Idaho, as well as some Minnesota tales. My wife was a research chemist for NOAA for her entire career in Alaska and is also from Southwest Minnesota.

MODERATOR EDIT: ...Being a thread in response to a discussion begun Saturday, 11 January 2020. Thread will be locked until posts made in the Main Thread are ported over to here. (This thread is now OPEN)

Quasi-serious question: Were I to set aside a few days this summer at our Lodge to host such a gathering, any show of hands of who to some probability of reality would like to attend and could make the trip? If you ever have wanted to get to Alaska (again, for some of you), maybe this could create the right incentive. So far, the only member we've hosted has been @gene.
Time's short here, as our book fills fast and we've precious few multi-day blocks where we've good availability remaining.

PS: Very nice post about a very nice person.
mY WIFE & t WOULD LOVE TO COME.

MODERATOR EDIT: ...Being a thread in response to a discussion begun Saturday, 11 January 2020. Thread will be locked until posts made in the Main Thread are ported over to here. (This thread is now OPEN)

Quasi-serious question: Were I to set aside a few days this summer at our Lodge to host such a gathering, any show of hands of who to some probability of reality would like to attend and could make the trip? If you ever have wanted to get to Alaska (again, for some of you), maybe this could create the right incentive. So far, the only member we've hosted has been @gene.
Time's short here, as our book fills fast and we've precious few multi-day blocks where we've good availability remaining.

mY WIFE & i WOULD LOVE TO TO COME, BUT CAN'I CONNMIT yet. I wish Teska had suoerchargers to Ankorage. We visited my wife's cousin there in '14.

I’d be interested. Is there more to do than hunting/fishing?

Response: And more than, you also mean, Roundtabling?
Hunting is not in the summer; our fishing is limited in that because we are smack-dab in the heart of the most prolific and sensitive sockeye salmon spawning grounds, those are off-limits even to us. But the Arctic grayling fishing ranges from excellent to superb - just remember to bring ultra-light tackle for these fellows.
Some good lake trout fishing in our adjacent lakes; the logistical challenge is getting a boat to reach them in mid-summer.

For other activities,
* we maintain the largest fleet of e-bikes in Alaska; all are Pedego; either mountain bikes or fat-tire bikes, superb for our trails and for reaching our glaciers.
* kayaking on our Class 1-2 (in midsummer) river or nearby intercalated lakes
* easy-access, safe* tundra hiking *In 25 years, no one's been eaten yet.
* See our website for possibilities and more info. To reduce risk of mischief, am not listing it here but it's on my profile

Thanks. I’m very interested.

Particularly as the value of all of our TSLA positions increases, I think it's a wonderful idea to have an "investor summit". There is no way I'd have the guts to hold onto such a large position (as a percentage of our portfolio) without this community. Only in very recent years have I come around to the idea that it can be desirable to "let winners run" in one's portfolio. The current TSLA run-up is thankfully giving me an opportunity to demonstrate my adherence to this thinking! It helps that in so doing, we're investing for the future that we want to see.

Response: Oh - you travel with a 2 year-old too, do you?
Indeed, we had a young child with us on that Alaska trip, plus my wife's parents. It was a great time for all. As we were traveling during Summer, we pulled into some of our campsites after midnight, slept 6-8 hours, and continued our exploration. It's amazing how much of Alaska's road system we covered. I think our favorite area was Denali National Park. Although we enjoyed Alaska's coastal areas, we preferred the clearer, sunnier skies of the interior, which I understand also gets far colder in Winter.

SO - the only sane way to get to/from AK with a Tesla is via the AK State Ferry System, from Bellingham WA to Anchorage. A very fun trip, 'tho spendy.
That sounds like fun, and it would be nice to make that trip at least once. It's unfortunate that "30 amp" RV outlets are the best that some stops along the Alaska Highway have to offer. Tesla may have their work cut out for them when they decide to install Superchargers, particularly as solar+storage is probably not going to be a great alternative to the grid in the far North. Could it make sense for Tesla to install some wind turbines plus storage? That would be interesting to explore.

Like @Paracelsus, if we do find ourselves able to make the trip North, we would be perfectly happy to camp in our tent.

Just a reminder:

This is an exploratory thread. In that it is appearing more and more likely that a certain other Northlander is also garnering interest in a gathering...and that our very short summer is our only source of income (gee - I wonder if there is any way to make money in the stock market? Has anyone any ideas?), I may defer for a year or two. Or even head off to Iceland ourselves.

Since the Ferry System has benn mentioned as a way to get our Tesla to Anchorage/
& Denali, I'm thinking more seriously about coming. We want to take the train to Dawson, as my mother-in law was born in that area.

We are definitely going to defer any such meet-up for this summer. We'll take a look at the end of the season - some time in Sept/Oct - and think strongly about some time in 2021. In the meantime, think about a no-ICE Iceland!

With that, I'm going to lock down this thread and take it off the Sticky site. I'll re-open it if we determine a need to. Thank you all for your support and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.