Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Service Agreement - Buy now to lock in price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have been contemplating on buying the extended warranty within the six months of my purchase. Since the price is fully refundable till the point you hit 50k or 4 years, I can't think of any downsides of locking the price now (except losing opportunity cost).

Let me know what you all think!

This is what I'm planning to do. It seems a little expensive because there is a $200 deductible and they essentially expect you to pay for a maintenance plan during that time, so total cost is more like $8000 for an extra four year warranty. But since it is fully refundable, I'm buying now (today is my last day actually before I lose the $500 discount after owning car more than 180 days)

So I have been contemplating on buying the extended warranty within the six months of my purchase. Since the price is fully refundable till the point you hit 50k or 4 years, I can't think of any downsides of locking the price now (except losing opportunity cost).

Let me know what you all think!

Just to make sure I understand, I can buy it now and if I sell/total/lose/give away my car before 50k/4yr I can just call and get my full paid amount back? This seems too good to be true...

This is what I'm planning to do. It seems a little expensive because there is a $200 deductible and they essentially expect you to pay for a maintenance plan during that time, so total cost is more like $8000 for an extra four year warranty. But since it is fully refundable, I'm buying now (today is my last day actually before I lose the $500 discount after owning car more than 180 days)

The fine print does not require you to pay for a maintenance plan during the 4 years prior to the Extended Service agreement :cool:

Just to confirm I bought the ESA before the price change for early adopters (August). Also confirmed multiple times that if my warranty goes unused for whatever reason, then it is fully refundable.

The new ESA pricing was announced in January 2017, so early buyers have until August 2017 to purchase at the old price :cool: Vehicle Warranty

upload_2017-7-9_12-37-22.png

Last edited:
Where does it say that in the fine print? I thought they basically forced you into buying both...

The fine print does not require you to pay for a maintenance plan during the 4 years prior to the Extended Service agreement :cool:
However, you are required to pay for maintenance during the Extended Service agreement plan years 5 - 8 to maintain the ESA.

Vehicle Warranty

upload_2017-7-9_12-38-57.png

Last edited: