Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cable for long term use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rent so I have to use an extension cable to charge with the mobile connector.

I read here that a 12 gauge should work. I found these 3:

1. https://www.amazon.com/2883-Heavy-D...=1+gauge+extension+cord,tools,323&sr=1-5&th=1

2. https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Power-...x=extension+cord+tesla,tools,157&sr=1-20&th=1

3. https://www.amazon.com/Southwire-25...=1+gauge+extension+cord,tools,323&sr=1-6&th=1

Is there anything else I should look out for here in terms of manufacture or any detail I'm missing?

I'd say as long as you keep the cord to 12AWG and don't coil the cord while it's being used, you should be okay. Having a lighted outlet really doesn't get you much (IMO) as you're plugging in the mobile connector (which has its own light). Don't buy the cheapest and don't buy the most expensive. Get a high-visibility color as you don't want anybody (and you) tripping over the cord.

Note that I believe that Tesla does not recommend using extension cords. There is a very slight chance of an overheating event occurring at the outlet which would not be detected by the Tesla NEMA adapter.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I'd say as long as you keep the cord to 12AWG and don't coil the cord while it's being used, you should be okay. Having a lighted outlet really doesn't get you much (IMO) as you're plugging in the mobile connector (which has its own light). Don't buy the cheapest and don't buy the most expensive. Get a high-visibility color as you don't want anybody (and you) tripping over the cord.

Note that I believe that Tesla does not recommend using extension cords. There is a very slight chance of an overheating event occurring at the outlet which would not be detected by the Tesla NEMA adapter.
thanks friend. Yeah the tesl recommendation makes me a little nervous. I wish there were an extension cord with those safety sensors.

That extension cable looks ideal to me. I contacted the company and they say it will be in stock within the next 3 weeks, but unfortunately only the 14" version maintains the thermal sensor functionality. Although they say fault protection and suspending power when not charging will still work.

I don't know why the temperature sensor that's built into the NEMA adapters would need the 14' Supercharger-capable cable. A member here represents EVSEadapters.com. Maybe @johnr can clarify why the other extension cables do not work with the temperature sensor.

Sorry for the late response. To clarify, the Supercharger extension cord includes an additional built-in thermal sensor to protect the cord itself while Supercharging. The thermal monitoring of the Tesla Gen 2 adapters is completely independent of this.

If you plug in your Mobile Connector directly into a power outlet (so that the Gen 2 adapter is directly plugged in to the outlet), the Gen 2 adapter can sense the temperature of the outlet helping reduce risk of fire - if the outlet gets too hot (often due to a loose connection or weathering) the adapter tells the car to reduce power to prevent thermal runaway. If you instead run an extension cord from the outlet to your charger, you introduce a safety risk by bypassing that thermal monitoring - the car has no way of knowing if the outlet, extension cord plug, or extension cord are overheating.

Using our Tesla extension cord resolves that safety concern because you can plug your Mobile Connector directly into the outlet, since the Tesla extension cord goes between the Mobile Connector and your vehicle instead.

• Helpful
Reactions: adayley and Rocky_H