Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear trunk insulation pad soaked - advice needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla 3 rear trunk got soaked with water. The insulation pad under the trunk liner was also soaked for at least a week before I discovered this, so I ripped it off the trunk liner and am trying to dry it off. What would folks recommend for dealing with a soaked insulation pad?
1) Try to dry insulation pad (mold risk too high?)
2) Purchase a new insulation pad (can't seem to find this part
3) Purchase a 3rd party car sound deadliner liner like this one
4) Any other ideas?

Thanks for your much needed wise advice.

My Tesla 3 rear trunk got soaked with water. The insulation pad under the trunk liner was also soaked for at least a week before I discovered this, so I ripped it off the trunk liner and am trying to dry it off. What would folks recommend for dealing with a soaked insulation pad?
1) Try to dry insulation pad (mold risk too high?)
2) Purchase a new insulation pad (can't seem to find this part
3) Purchase a 3rd party car sound deadliner liner like this one
4) Any other ideas?

Thanks for your much needed wise advice.
I'm not sure what specific part you are looking for, but almost all the parts are in the parts catalog and plenty are available for over the counter. You can ask for parts cost in your Tesla app by using the service section and doing a service request using the "other" category. Someone from your local service center will answer your request (may take a few days to do so) and you can request the price for part only (no labor) and if ok, you can have them order for you and you can pick up at the service center. Here is the section for trunk carpets:
Parts Catalog

Personally if you can gain access to the wet part, probably I would try to dry it first and see how that goes. Probably use towels to soak up a bulk of the water (or use a wet-vac if you have one), and then run a fan/space heater to dry any remaining moisture.

If you are worried about mold, you can probably use some disinfectant on it after you have dried it out (there are a ton of different ones; you would have to do research to see which are suitable for mold and won't damage the part you are referring to). If instead you are talking about the carpet itself, you can probably use a carpet cleaning machine (there are smaller ones available) to clean it. Currently the weather/season doesn't support this method in most areas, but another way is to let the car heat soak in the hot sun. I put temp sensors in my car and the cabin can go up to 150 degrees in a sunny day (while trunk is considerably cooler, so if the area in question is the trunk, the rear seats must be down). That's hot enough to kill most mold.

Last edited:
My trunk is filled with rain. Tesla refuses to fix it. They just replace the trunk liner time after time under warranty hoping I will die.

Attachments

• trunk.jpg
    trunk.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 24
My trunk is filled with rain. Tesla refuses to fix it. They just replace the trunk liner time after time under warranty hoping I will die.
Unless you find a different service center that isn't busy, I doubt they will bother to help you diagnose where it's coming from if they haven't done so already in previous visits. Especially if the issue is not easily repeatable with a simple spray of a hose. It's a similar thing with noise issues, they simply don't have time to search for it (as some are extremely difficult to find, even the owner may not be able to find the source spending hours or days on it).

Unfortunately you would have to do that work yourself. Find where the hole is (probably with a garden hose) until you can make it repeatable (ideally with less water, like maybe a water bottle, something you can bring and show to the SC). If you can find the hole and make it repeatable, then they can fix it. Of course you should perhaps get some plastic sheeting or a trunk mat (and seal off the bottom trunk) to avoid the bottom getting wet from your tests.

If you can't make it repeatable, then they likely will just fix the symptom (the wet liner) and not the cause (wherever the water is coming in from).

Last edited: