Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cord for 110v on UMC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reached my charging station parking space last week and ended up about 3 feet short of the 110v plug! Never needed an extra 3 feet before so I have no clue what kind of extension cord would have worked with my Model X 75D. Appreciate all the electrical advice anyone can share.

thanks
Reese Edwards

I reached my charging station parking space last week and ended up about 3 feet short of the 110v plug! Never needed an extra 3 feet before so I have no clue what kind of extension cord would have worked with my Model X 75D. Appreciate all the electrical advice anyone can share.

thanks
Reese Edwards

Any 12 gauge or better extension cord will work, like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ABJS91G

That link was found on this page and site which provides lots of info about charging EVs.

CarCharging.us

Reactions: dhrivnak

thanks
Reese Edwards
I'm mot an electrician so take what I say with a grain of salt, but here's my take. If you're charging at 110 volts, you're putting no more then 12 amps through the wire. That's no more than you'd need for a portable drill. I'd suggest that any heavy-duty extension cord such as one that you might use for an electric drill would be safe for the car. I don't recommend any extension cord if you're plugging into a 220-volt circuit. Do NOT use an ordinary extension cord like the ones designed for inside the house.

I'm mot an electrician so take what I say with a grain of salt, but here's my take. If you're charging at 110 volts, you're putting no more then 12 amps through the wire. That's no more than you'd need for a portable drill. I'd suggest that any heavy-duty extension cord such as one that you might use for an electric drill would be safe for the car. I don't recommend any extension cord if you're plugging into a 220-volt circuit. Do NOT use an ordinary extension cord like the ones designed for inside the house.
While you are drawing no more than with a portable drill, you are drawing it continuously and thusly should be using an extension cord rated for 15 amps (the reason you only draw 12 amps is because electrical code only allows 80% of max draw to be taken continuously, and if having smaller wires inside the wall would be dangerous at 12 amps continuous, having smaller wire outside the wall surely would be, too). It is also important to note that the extension cord should NOT be coiled up, as this can generate heat potentially causing problems up to and including fires. This risk may be mitigated by having a cord rated for 15 amps, but I am no expert and the opinions I have come across vary.

While you are drawing no more than with a portable drill, you are drawing it continuously and thusly should be using an extension cord rated for 15 amps (the reason you only draw 12 amps is because electrical code only allows 80% of max draw to be taken continuously, and if having smaller wires inside the wall would be dangerous at 12 amps continuous, having smaller wire outside the wall surely would be, too). It is also important to note that the extension cord should NOT be coiled up, as this can generate heat potentially causing problems up to and including fires. This risk may be mitigated by having a cord rated for 15 amps, but I am no expert and the opinions I have come across vary.
Thank you. The extension cord I'm currently using is fifteen amps but much longer than it needs to be so it's coiled. I'll get a shorter one that won't need to be coiled.