Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector Extension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

easyev

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2023
Toronto
A friend just got a model X and new wall connector installed and the cord is too short to reach her car as she parks on street. Is there an extension for the handle that plugs into the car? A quick search on amazon.ca didn't bring anything up that I could see. She doesn't have a (legal) parking pad to bring car, but her front yard is paving stones. Ramps at curb, pull up closer to house, charge, roll back down?

That's probably something that should've been worked out before buying the car. My wall connector doesn't reach the side where I keep the car, but I have a driveway and can just back into that spot to charge it, and I have a mobile charger on the other side.

The ramps idea sounds like it will end badly. She's probably looking at living on superchargers, but the alternative may be a portable charger with an extension cord. The down side is that she's probably looking at 12 amps and a max charge rate of 4mi/hr.

Reactions: easyev
There are some third parties that sell NACS extension cables:

I'm not sure I would want to use them on a regular basis, but they do exist.

Here is a Lectron from Home Depot:
Those actually look pretty good, I didn't know anyone made those. The Lectron one is out of stock at Home Depot, but it looks like it's available directly from the manufacturer. Thanks for posting that!

That's probably something that should've been worked out before buying the car. My wall connector doesn't reach the side where I keep the car, but I have a driveway and can just back into that spot to charge it, and I have a mobile charger on the other side.

The ramps idea sounds like it will end badly. She's probably looking at living on superchargers, but the alternative may be a portable charger with an extension cord. The down side is that she's probably looking at 12 amps and a max charge rate of 4mi/hr.
Okay thank you. The city is considering applications for EV charging and may make an exception and grant her a permit. I told her she can charge at my place anytime and her work has some nice changers as well. She’s probably fine. I felt the same on the ramp idea!

There are some third parties that sell NACS extension cables:

I'm not sure I would want to use them on a regular basis, but they do exist.
Thanks very much!