Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cord for charging at 110V?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are handy with a screwdriver and wire cutters, you can make your own extension cord. I bought 50 feet of 6-3 w/ ground copper wire and then bought a heavy duty outlet and plug. Viola, I now have a good 50 foot extension cord, which lives in my frunk in case I need it on a trip. I am sure of the connections, can tighten the wires occasionally, and have never felt it get warm while charging my car. I would not even think of charging with any Amazon cord as they are for light duty use. At least, they're light duty compared to my cord.

I cringe every time I see an extension cord snaking its way out of a motel room, leading to a parked EV.
Just the thought of that makes a chill run up my spine. They should charge at a supercharger, or SOMETHING other than a tiny extension cord that's probably 14 ga. wire. One fire, and no one will be able to rent a motel room if they drove up in an EV.

This is what Superchargers are for. Don't charge on an extension cord unless you KNOW what you're doing and have the proper gauge wire cord.

Reactions: BMWM3Man
Just the thought of that makes a chill run up my spine. They should charge at a supercharger, or SOMETHING other than a tiny extension cord that's probably 14 ga. wire. One fire, and no one will be able to rent a motel room if they drove up in an EV.

This is what Superchargers are for. Don't charge on an extension cord unless you KNOW what you're doing and have the proper gauge wire cord.
Not sure why you assume you’re the only person who knows how to select a decent extension cord. I completely get the appeal of using one of it enables you to gain enough charge while your sleeping.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H