Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cord

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charge on 110 outlet about 20 feet from car, in parking garage with this extension cord. It has to snake along the garage wall to reach outlet and not be in way of neighbors.

No issues in 8 months of usage.

50 Foot Lighted Outdoor Extension Cord - 10/3 SJTW Yellow 10 Gauge Extension Cable with 3 Prong Grounded Plug for Safety - Great for Garden and Major Appliances https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078KDZBBX/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_PD9dEbYWC9R3M

I charge on 110 outlet about 20 feet from car, in parking garage with this extension cord. It has to snake along the garage wall to reach outlet and not be in way of neighbors.

No issues in 8 months of usage.

50 Foot Lighted Outdoor Extension Cord - 10/3 SJTW Yellow 10 Gauge Extension Cable with 3 Prong Grounded Plug for Safety - Great for Garden and Major Appliances https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078KDZBBX/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_PD9dEbYWC9R3M
I have the same one. Only used it twice on separate vacations, but it's been rock solid. Stays completely cold.

15A at 120V = 1.8kW. Divided by 253Wh/mile = 7.11 miles. A 6mph charging rate would work out to about 84% efficiency of charger, so it seems plausible to me. Even 117V would work out to 1.75kW, so would still easily display 6mph rate.
All true. I confess I made the assumption that jrose1g was charging using the included 5-15 adapter, which should limit to a 12A sustained draw.

All true. I confess I made the assumption that jrose1g was charging using the included 5-15 adapter, which should limit to a 12A sustained draw.
No, you are right and I was wrong. I neglected to allow for the 80% reduction.

His extension cord as pictured could only connect to a NEMA 5-15 Tesla adapter, so it should pull only 12A 120V. Assuming 90% charger efficiency, that would only be 1.44kW charge rate = 5 mph at 253Wh per mile. The extension cord would need to be equipped with a 5-20 terminal on its female end so he could plug a Tesla 5-20 adapter into it in order to get 15A 120V to the charger.