Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I take a 4 prong extension cord

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving Ottawa to Miami in a couple of weeks and will be spending a few nights at a relatives house in Raleigh where I have access to their dryer plug for quicker charging. Is it worthwhile buying an extension cord that will accommodate for quicker charging?
TIA

Driving Ottawa to Miami in a couple of weeks and will be spending a few nights at a relatives house in Raleigh where I have access to their dryer plug for quicker charging. Is it worthwhile buying an extension cord that will accommodate for quicker charging?
TIA
My vote is NO.. you should be fine to use a standard 120v 3 prong outlet at your stop in Raleigh to top off, and actually wouldn't even really need it unless you are rolling into town on "fumes". If they have a convenient plug to use then go for it, but if you are hunting for an outlet and parking sideways in the front yard to use the 120v plug then I would just skip that all together.

With a 4 prong 240v You would probably spend a good 20 minutes of hassle of getting behind the dryer at someone's house and running a cable outside and plugging in your car. Then about the same time to un-hook the cord and move the dryer back into place and wrap up all the cords. There are PLENTY of Superchargers along your route, when leaving town and heading south you could get a little juice at Garner, NC or Benson, NC and make sure you have just enough to get to Florence, SC....

When traveling from Raleigh to Miami I would strongly suggest you stop at the location at Buc-ee's in Florence, South Carolina since that gas station chain is very unique and you could easily spend 20-30 minutes in the store while you charge up to a higher charge. Also, skip the 40 stall charger in Dillion, South Carolina, its just a big parking lot and really isn't impressive

Reactions: KJD
I visit friends and family about 4 times a year, and charge from dryer outlet at family and a NEMA 6-50 my friend has for his welder at his house. Friend is 50 miles from closest SuC and this is very convenient, we drive a lot when I visit (more than I usually drive at home since they live way out in the boondocks) and it is just like charging at home and going to the SuC 50 miles away would be very inconvenient. At other family, charge from dryer outlet and is also convenient because they are 40 minutes from closest SuC.

I do these trips regularly and it makes sense for me. Might not for you or most people.

Reactions: buckets0fun
My vote is NO.. you should be fine to use a standard 120v 3 prong outlet at your stop in Raleigh to top off, and actually wouldn't even really need it unless you are rolling into town on "fumes". If they have a convenient plug to use then go for it, but if you are hunting for an outlet and parking sideways in the front yard to use the 120v plug then I would just skip that all together.

With a 4 prong 240v You would probably spend a good 20 minutes of hassle of getting behind the dryer at someone's house and running a cable outside and plugging in your car. Then about the same time to un-hook the cord and move the dryer back into place and wrap up all the cords. There are PLENTY of Superchargers along your route, when leaving town and heading south you could get a little juice at Garner, NC or Benson, NC and make sure you have just enough to get to Florence, SC....

When traveling from Raleigh to Miami I would strongly suggest you stop at the location at Buc-ee's in Florence, South Carolina since that gas station chain is very unique and you could easily spend 20-30 minutes in the store while you charge up to a higher charge. Also, skip the 40 stall charger in Dillion, South Carolina, its just a big parking lot and really isn't impressive
Did go to Florence and checked out Buc.ees. Quite a memorable experience for sure !

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec