Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior coat question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys been following these threads for some time and just received my MX on new year's Eve. Unfortunately I won't get to play with it until Jan 8 when I'm back from vacation. Had a question for those of you that have had time to play with yours. I live in Reno, NV and will likely frequent Tahoe for winter at times for skiing and stuff. I've been looking at detailers in my area and unfortunately no one does opti coat that I can find which seems to be the favorite here. I have found one that does XPEL and another that does ceramic Pro.

Does anyone have any recs on which is better? Also triggers one detailer that has another protective coating that they do and gives 1 year warranty would it be better to do that annually instead? They charge about $300 for that. Also if they aren't that experienced in Tesla, is there a chance that they will block a sonar or sensor that would make my AP difficult when activated?

Thanks in advance

xpel is a paint protection film, while nano, glass, ceramic coating is more like a longer lasting wax/sealant. I would go with a good detailer as that is more important than the type of coat. most people do the paint protection film and then get it coated on top of that. A good coat will last years.

Reactions: JusTheGreat
Hi Jimmy 1!

The 5 year OR 20 wash warranty, would be difficult for the OP to rely on, I would think, in his geographic location. The product's function may exceed that warranty of 20 washes, however.

OTOH, 4 washes per year would likely not make it for me... Now maybe No nRinse does not count, then rain, etc., etc.

Thank you very much

Fury

In general, you're main concern should be the installer. Coatings and clear bra go hand-in-hand IMHO. They each serve a purpose and both work amazing together to bridge the gap between aesthetics and protection.

Look and see if there's a CQuartz Finest installer near you and see if he/she knows an installer for clear bra as well. Then, visit the shop and see their work, preferably, on another Model X.

Pictures and forums can never tell the facts of what is right for YOU. You can get a general road map, but ultimate decision should be made with a phone call or a visit to the facility of the the person that will be doing the work on your Tesla.