Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior Color...Logic / Feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You make a great point...I need to SEE SILVER WITH MY OWN EYEBALLS before making that commitment. When I saw midnight silver on a 3 at the factory in August I was high on it. Just worried about the chips.

So maybe I will revert to Midnight Silver, 19s for contrast, and wrap the front with 3M.
"The struggle is real."

I have been going back and fourth between silver and midnight silver for the last couple months for most of the same reasons as you. I will add that on silver, the black glass roof adds nice contrast that midnight silver does not. Right now I am thinking Silver, will wrap the front with Suntek PPF, and may Powder coat the 19" sport wheels dark grey for more contrast.

I am worried, though, that there is not enough "pop" to the silver (wish it was like the reveal color). I expect an invite soon-ish so I don't have much time to decide!!! Good luck with your decision!

I have been going back and fourth between silver and midnight silver for the last couple months for most of the same reasons as you. I will add that on silver, the black glass roof adds nice contrast that midnight silver does not. Right now I am thinking Silver, will wrap the front with Suntek PPF, and may Powder coat the 19" sport wheels dark grey for more contrast.

I am worried, though, that there is not enough "pop" to the silver (wish it was like the reveal color). I expect an invite soon-ish so I don't have much time to decide!!! Good luck with your decision!
Good to know I'm not alone in this brain bender. I'm currently planning on the Aeros, regardless of paint, because I'm reading a lot that says the covers materially help range and I will be doing a ton of highway driving in my 3 over its life span. I'll keep those covers off for local/region driving though, as I don't like how the covers look. Your contrast point about the glass roof vs silver body is one I hadn't considered. This could get solved for me if I can lay eyes on a silver one in person before I have to configure. Failing that, I'm probably midnight silver with the aeros. I'll need to research the Suntek PPF; I've only done a bit of hunting so far on the 3M equivalent...the good news in ATL is that I can get the front covered with 3M for about $1000. I suspect that price will stun CA owners.

Good to know I'm not alone in this brain bender. I'm currently planning on the Aeros, regardless of paint, because I'm reading a lot that says the covers materially help range and I will be doing a ton of highway driving in my 3 over its life span. I'll keep those covers off for local/region driving though, as I don't like how the covers look. Your contrast point about the glass roof vs silver body is one I hadn't considered. This could get solved for me if I can lay eyes on a silver one in person before I have to configure. Failing that, I'm probably midnight silver with the aeros. I'll need to research the Suntek PPF; I've only done a bit of hunting so far on the 3M equivalent...the good news in ATL is that I can get the front covered with 3M for about $1000. I suspect that price will stun CA owners.

A lot of the top detailing shops are using Suntek from the research I have done...but do your own of course. Very good price for the film btw.

What turned me off about the midnight silver was how much you can see dust. San Antonio has sooo much highway construction going on its hard to keep your car looking good for more than a day. I currently own a dark metallic car similar to the midnight and it looks gorgeous....for one day.

I attached a picture I pulled from a "production car sightings" thread which I then photo-shopped to my concept of glossy grey powder coated wheels and a chrome delete. But instead of using a satin black for the chrome delete I want to try to match the grey wheel color. Thought you may be interested!

Attachments

• silver with mods.jpg
    silver with mods.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: suwaneedad
A lot of the top detailing shops are using Suntek from the research I have done...but do your own of course. Very good price for the film btw.

What turned me off about the midnight silver was how much you can see dust. San Antonio has sooo much highway construction going on its hard to keep your car looking good for more than a day. I currently own a dark metallic car similar to the midnight and it looks gorgeous....for one day.

I attached a picture I pulled from a "production car sightings" thread which I then photo-shopped to my concept of glossy grey powder coated wheels and a chrome delete. But instead of using a satin black for the chrome delete I want to try to match the grey wheel color. Thought you may be interested!
That looks REALLY good!!
And thanks for your point re dust. The equivalent for me is pollen season in ATL (Mar/Apr) and then orange blossom pollen season in FL (I forget when that is). If I can see a silver with my own eyes before ordering, I'll likely head that direction as initially planned in my OP. But I've been scared away from it a bit by folks indicating that it is a bland silver in person. Hmm. Might be worth a trip to Fremont before I order...1 day, $300 on SW.

OK, was able to see silver today in person at the local delivery center, and am now sold on it. I found it to be a terrific shade, with nice brilliance to it as well. The contrast with the 'black' glass roof was terrific. And am now (finally) sold on the uncovered Aeros rather than the 19s. The 19s (to me) have an odd gloss to them that makes them look plastic. I think the 19s could work for me if I committed to keeping my tires black via Armor All, since that would provide a layer of contrasting black between silver paint and silver 19. But hey, why buy the 19s when I like the uncovered Aero look. That said, the employees were not willing to remove an Aero cap for me on the silver car, so I still haven't seen that color/wheel combo in person. Hopefully will get that opportunity somehow before configuring.

Also noted for the first time that the rear flat face of Model 3 is large and is going to attract a lot of dirt from air movement (similar to an SUV); saw a black Model 3 that's been driven around at least a bit and the rear was...not pretty...lots of dirt. That makes me feel confident about the silver decision as well.

I have a red model X on order. My wife is a bit concerned about colour fade. Does anyone have experience of how the red lasts?

All paint fades over time, even white! (You just can’t see it). It’s going to be more obvious on some paint colors, red being one. A lot of ‘fading’ is just oxidization. The more exposure to the elements the more ongoing surface maintenance required.
Pick the color you love and look after it

OK, was able to see silver today in person at the local delivery center, and am now sold on it. I found it to be a terrific shade, with nice brilliance to it as well. The contrast with the 'black' glass roof was terrific. And am now (finally) sold on the uncovered Aeros rather than the 19s. The 19s (to me) have an odd gloss to them that makes them look plastic. I think the 19s could work for me if I committed to keeping my tires black via Armor All, since that would provide a layer of contrasting black between silver paint and silver 19. But hey, why buy the 19s when I like the uncovered Aero look.

Excellent! I have never seen a 3 in person so I appreciate this info. Although I have thought of switching over the last couple weeks (both color and wheels), I am going to stick with silver and 19's. Now we wait........

Excellent! I have never seen a 3 in person so I appreciate this info. Although I have thought of switching over the last couple weeks (both color and wheels), I am going to stick with silver and 19's. Now we wait........
Silver with 19s was being delivered (to a customer) while I was at the store. It really looks great. I about cried: it was going to a HS/college male, the son of the Tesla owner. I was proud of myself for not asking aloud Dad if he'd adopt me.

WRT rock chips -- bear in mind that 95% of rock chips on a refresh Model S occur on the front bumper and area where the grille would be. This material is dark colored plastic. My white car has black rock chips.

No idea how this will translate to the Model 3, or if the nose is made of the same material.

I second the clear bra suggestion. Wish I had done it.

Would you have done the whole front end in Clear Bra or just the front bumper. $1000 more (in Indiana) between cost of doing Xpel Ultimate on front bumper only to doing the whole front end (bumper, hood, fenders). I am definitely doing the front bumper, torn on whether to do the whole front end. I am already doing Ceramic coating, chrome delete, painting brake calipers, window tint, and Xpel stealth on the center console, so all that really adds up.

20180417_130444.jpg
I had my entire front end done in PPF just to make sure I cover all bases and have not got any rock chips since the install. My car was delivered with two small rock chips on the bumper from transport - so yes, the Model 3 bumper will get hit with rocks and will show damage.

Back on the color topic - Really glad I decided on silver metallic and 19's! I love how it shines in the sun and have got so many compliments!

• Love
Reactions: gillfoto
Would you have done the whole front end in Clear Bra or just the front bumper. $1000 more (in Indiana) between cost of doing Xpel Ultimate on front bumper only to doing the whole front end (bumper, hood, fenders). I am definitely doing the front bumper, torn on whether to do the whole front end. I am already doing Ceramic coating, chrome delete, painting brake calipers, window tint, and Xpel stealth on the center console, so all that really adds up.
I have chips on the rubber bumper cover all over. I have a chip on one A-pillar and one mirror. The only place on the hood with a chip is on the very front leading edge, which the M3 does not have exposed.

Both our current vehicles (Toyota Tundra and Honda CRV) are silver. Today's deposit for my Tesla 3 will also be silver. The reason being, when the light catches the lines of the body it creates a more visually stimulating experience. Broom..........broom!

My feedback is that all colors will show chips and damage, my recommendation especially if you are going to keep the car that long is get a clear bra I prefer 3M but Xpel is also a top brand. I wrapped my whole car with 3M scotchguard pro clear bra. It will protect your paint and keep your car looking like you just drove it off the showroom floor. The bonus being that you can also pick any color your heart desires vs being concerned with UV fading as the clear bra has a UV coating in it as well...
Does the clear bra affect the cameras?