Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior cover of glass only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a light colored exterior (tarp) cover available which covers the glass but not the painted body? I'm after reducing sunlight from striking roof and windows hopefully allowing automatic cooling mode to work I park in the open desert this summer. All covers I've seen cover everything making them bulky & hard to handle. I also can't imagine the cooling system would work when deployed. My car is white so pretty reflective but i see a 40F temp difference inside to outside at home in the Bay Area which concerns me if I encounter 120F ambient. I normally look for shade but sometimes not possible.
Jim

Is there a light colored exterior (tarp) cover available which covers the glass but not the painted body? I'm after reducing sunlight from striking roof and windows hopefully allowing automatic cooling mode to work I park in the open desert this summer. All covers I've seen cover everything making them bulky & hard to handle. I also can't imagine the cooling system would work when deployed. My car is white so pretty reflective but i see a 40F temp difference inside to outside at home in the Bay Area which concerns me if I encounter 120F ambient. I normally look for shade but sometimes not possible.
Jim
I'm not aware of an exterior cover that only covers the glass. If you want to keep the interior temp lower, I would suggest using interior sunshades for the windshield, roof glass, and large rear window glass. You can also have a high-quality ceramic tint installed on all of the glass. I use the sunshades and also had Xpel Prime XR Plus ceramic tint installed. They definitely help with heat rejection.

Thanks. I'm looking at this as something i might want to do only when parking. I also think that interior sunshades are of limited effectiveness in this regard since the radiant energy must pass through the glass to hit and be reflected and partly absorbed by the shade, so the heat is inside the thermal envelop of the car. Better to block it before it strikes the glass. I went ahead an ordered a tesla outdoor cover which will come in handy when my plum tree starts dropping its messy little overripe plums.