Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FAILED removal of lowering link. HELP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Silly question but you did remove the locking pin right? And yes.. I would try to spray some lube in there before doing the others. I use grease in mine before I installed them (and I remove/re-install every winter/summer tire changeover).

Yes I did remove the pin before trying to remove it. I remember how easy it was to push the link on w/o the clip. I should have sprayed the lubricant. I'm so mad about breaking the sensor arm.

BTW, awesome profile pic

Yes I did remove the pin before trying to remove it. I remember how easy it was to push the link on w/o the clip. I should have sprayed the lubricant. I'm so mad about breaking the sensor arm.

BTW, awesome profile pic

Thanks for pic comment!!

And yes.. mine has a metal ball on my sensor (unlike your plastic one). Odd that they would move to plastic. I would order the part and replace it yourself. I wouldnt want the SC to know that you had it lowered as they may decline any suspension warrantee work in the future.

Thanks for pic comment!!

And yes.. mine has a metal ball on my sensor (unlike your plastic one). Odd that they would move to plastic. I would order the part and replace it yourself. I wouldnt want the SC to know that you had it lowered as they may decline any suspension warrantee work in the future.

Agreed. I'm going to try to get both rears just in case I ruin the other side. I'm out of warranty anyhow, so I am expecting to pay anytime I have to go in unfortunately. May be time for me to trade in for another Tesla.

Another way you could do this is to completely remove the height sensors from the car and then replace the lowering links. It’s only 2 bolts to uninstall them.

Attachments

• 707FFC6A-39BE-453C-9128-E2F1A9B4E65A.jpeg
    707FFC6A-39BE-453C-9128-E2F1A9B4E65A.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 84
Glue would be the easiest temporary fix, and just order one from tesla parts department prob only a few bucks.

My main question is why were you removing them in the first place? I have taken mine to service a few times since i installed the N2itive links and camber/toe arms kit (obv different brand but same idea) there is no issue. They can't deny you warranty service for installing aftermarket parts that *sugar* is illegal. They would have to prove in court that the install of the aftermarket parts is what caused X item to fail which will never happen because those items not only help the car but make things like the CV joints last longer due to creating a better angle of operation.

For the easiest removal of the links in the future the best example is the ev fixme vid posted by @D Unit a couple back. i did exactly how they describe and using only a flathead screwdriver and my hand they all came off easy and quickly.

My mechanic was removing the front lowering links this morning to install the N2itive ones and snapped the tab on the suspension arm that the link attaches to. The tab is made from GRP so I was able to glue it back in place but it will never be the same until I somehow replace the arm.
The tab is GRP and the Ball is metal.
Attached is an image of the snapped tab. (Front left)

E8A946FF-7534-4DBE-A46A-FE600D3658A9.jpeg