Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering Links Rusted - Can not remove

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I have had my lowering links on my Gen1 MS for over 4 years and recently I noticed uneven ride height (lower on rear driver side). I took the car to mechanic who installed the links and they said the aftermarket links are rusted and they not remove them to adjust. He said if he tries to remove, the air suspension height sensor green plastic piece might break off. Has anyone had this issue before? Should I purchase the green height sensors first and then allow him to attempt to remove the links?

Any other suggestions and thoughts on why the uneven ride height? Also, do anyone know the part number for the Air Suspension Height Sensor for a 2014 Model S P85?

The difference in ride height in that corner could be explained by the rusted arm's limited range of motion - I'd just replace the links. You can't buy the OEM links by themselves, you have to buy the whole assembly with sensor and that's expensive.

thanks for that... Will Tesla do a ride calibration from on my car if I have aftermarket lowering links installed?

No they won't. If they do, it's because you got lucky. I'm not sure what lowering links you purchased that are rusting, but the green arm is plastic...your mechanic should be able to remove rusty metal from plastic safely. my suggestion would be to order some higher quality ones made from aluminum, bring them to your mechanic, have the mechanic pop the rusted lowering link off of the control arm (or cut it), and completely remove the sensor/bracket from the car so he can get the rusted link off of it safely. From there, it's just a matter of installing the new higher quality ones.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the detailed write up. After some investigative work, I actually think the links are fine but the rear driver side is leaking air in the suspension. Every morning that side is lower by 0.5inches but when i get into the car, it self levels to even height. I have a service appt next week, lets see what they say.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the detailed write up. After some investigative work, I actually think the links are fine but the rear driver side is leaking air in the suspension. Every morning that side is lower by 0.5inches but when i get into the car, it self levels to even height. I have a service appt next week, lets see what they say.
Oh, ok. Well that's straight forward as well. Just be aware that tesla charges an arm and a leg for replacement strut assemblies, but they're pretty cheap on e-bay and easy for any independent shop to change.

Upvote 0