Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failing power adaptor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using my MS power adaptor to charge at home now for 3 years.

Just recently I started getting a warning message when plugging in that it could not charge. Then, a few seconds later, the message disappears and it starts to charge. But only up to 30 amps. Up until then I was always able to charge up to 40 amps.

Tesla came out and tried their new adaptor, which is 32 amps. With that I no longer get the message.

I'm not happy about my charging dropping from 40 amp to 32 amp, but he told me Tesla no longer makes the 40 car adaptor. When I asked why it may happen he speculated it was due to cable degradation. He's had a few other customers with the same problem. He speculated that was the reason Tesla changed to 32 amp. I can see the "box" and cable are smaller then my old adaptor.

That made me wonder. I always keep the adaptor plugged into the outlet. Perhaps I should only plug it in when charging? Anyone else have this problem?

Unplugging regularly would result in the outlet wearing out. Then you would end up with the potential of heat generation on the worn contacts and the outlet melting.

It might be wear or dirt on the contacts on the car side of the adapter. I would have tried cleaning it, but now it's probably too late.

Unplugging regularly would result in the outlet wearing out. Then you would end up with the potential of heat generation on the worn contacts and the outlet melting.

It might be wear or dirt on the contacts on the car side of the adapter. I would have tried cleaning it, but now it's probably too late.
You're right. I had mobile service and he has come and gone (took my old adaptor). I wonder if I can ask for my old adaptor back? Could be dirt on the plug. It is sitting around in my garage.

Mobile service swapped out my old adaptor for a Gen 2 adaptor. However, I've now notice I did not get any different plug types. I only have the 14-50 plug. The kit I got with the car also allowed 120V, and J1772, and perhaps one or two other types.

Anyone get a new mobile adaptor because the old one failed? Is so, did you also give you a set of NEMA plugs?

Mobile service swapped out my old adaptor for a Gen 2 adaptor. However, I've now notice I did not get any different plug types. I only have the 14-50 plug. The kit I got with the car also allowed 120V, and J1772, and perhaps one or two other types.

Anyone get a new mobile adaptor because the old one failed? Is so, did you also give you a set of NEMA plugs?
Why not just call them and tell them so they can get you the two adapters you had for your old one for the new one?

Why not just call them and tell them so they can get you the two adapters you had for your old one for the new one?
Actually I did. I talked with Tesla service. We circled several times, but the final answer was "it is up to the local service" to provide other adaptors or not. He is not authorized. He texted my mobile service rep. Waiting to see if I get an email back. I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience.