Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(FAILURE) SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 launch - CRS-7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was watching the live stream, too. We won't know for a while what really went wrong, but it kinda looked like a propellant leak leading to an explosion. Or premature staging with the main engines still firing, perhaps.

The live stream angle wasn't ideal because it was almost directly behind the rocket, but it looked like it was venting a gas of some type for several seconds before the explosion. Makes me wonder if something fired prematurely, like the second stage or the state separators. I'd think if they has some sort of fuel tank rupture it would have exploded almost immediately instead of several seconds delay.

boom5.jpg

The live stream is still up and you can rewatch the failure. At 23:42, you see a plume of white gas near to the upper stage. It seems a perfect circle of gas surrounding the area between the upper and lower stages. You can see the engines continuing to fire normally for another number of seconds until the plume reaches the hot exhaust gas. Then there is a major explosion which obliterates the craft.

It was odd they didn't show the live camera from the rocket itself much during the launch, just a quick glance and then back to the long-range ground-based telescope camera views. Normally we get to watch the launch looking down on earth from the spacecraft almost from the moment it clears the tower and goes through MECO and SECO.

It was odd they didn't show the live camera from the rocket itself much during the launch, just a quick glance and then back to the long-range ground-based telescope camera views. Normally we get to watch the launch looking down on earth from the spacecraft almost from the moment it clears the tower and goes through MECO and SECO.

From what I could tell, they were having trouble with that feed. When they did try to switch to it, it was cutting out.

My kids were pretty upset by it all, but I think I took it harder.