Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fair price on Scratch repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a scratch a month or 2 ago on the side of my Blue Model S and decided today to get an estimate on repair of said scratch since it sticks out like a sore thumb when I get the car detailed. 2 of my quotes came back at $1300 and $2900 for the repair and I wanted to see what others have experienced. I have attached a photo of the scratch with a $1 bill for scale.

Attachments

• IMG_1082.jpg
    IMG_1082.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 2,932
Dupont has a DIY scratch repair stick, Pro-Fusion Color that I used a few times with pretty good result. It does not make the scratch disappear, but does a pretty good job of making it not noticeable.

Only costs a few $. Might be worth trying to see if it is good enough for you.

Dupli-color also has a color matched version of this that should do an even better job. Little more $ though.

Cars get scratches and stone chips from time to time. Sometimes a simple DIY fix is good enough to make the scratch less visible.

Last edited:
I would take the car to the "Appearance center" for a high end Mercedes or other car dealership in the area.

There are places that work on scratches by not repainting the whole panel. What you are looking for is not 100% perfection at $2000+ but for someone to make it 90% better so you don't see the scratch.

What you need is for someone to do something like this for several hundred dollars. Just like PDR, doing this properly is an art form.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits and sorka
It's the drivers side door right below the handle.

Is that actually all the way through the clear. It's either all the way through the clear and base and what we see there is the white primer under the blue or it's isn't through the clearcoat completely and what we see is scratched clear. I've had scratches like both. In the latter case where it doesn't go through the clear, you can rub this out with a liquid rubbing compound and you won't be able to tell. If it's the former, then get the color matched touchup paint and feather it in and then use something like Langka to smooth the repair. It won't be perfect but it won't be obvious unless you look carefully.

Is that actually all the way through the clear. It's either all the way through the clear and base and what we see there is the white primer under the blue or it's isn't through the clearcoat completely and what we see is scratched clear. I've had scratches like both. In the latter case where it doesn't go through the clear, you can rub this out with a liquid rubbing compound and you won't be able to tell. If it's the former, then get the color matched touchup paint and feather it in and then use something like Langka to smooth the repair. It won't be perfect but it won't be obvious unless you look carefully.
it's all the way through the clearcoat. I ordered a paint match kit to try and do what I can to make it as unnoticeable as possible.

it's all the way through the clearcoat. I ordered a paint match kit to try and do what I can to make it as unnoticeable as possible.

I doubt you will make it much better sadly. You need someone to sand down that area and spray paint just the affected area and top it off with a clear coat. It's basically an art form and if you find someone exceptionally talented, you will get the job done for a lot less.

I've yet to see a paint match kit that does not leave a telltale line where the scratch was, just colored in the same color as the car now.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
I understand, but the difference in price is over $1,000 to almost $3,000. Many would not be bothered by the less than perfect repair and pocket the difference. I have touched up lots of little things, and go about my day.

Some of the Bumper Medic guys can also do a pretty good job, for far less.