Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon 9 FT 2nd reuse launch - BulgariaSat 1 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SpaceX website is poorly updated and maintained. If there is a launch that is scheduled within the week, I would expect that to show up in the home page, instead we still see the last Dragon mission.

And the icing on the cake is the Bulgaria Sat launch update still shows Monday 2:10 EST - and ironically it is already past 2:10 pm now. This page was last updated on the 17th. This is shoddy website work

BulgariaSat-1 Mission Press Kit

View attachment 231914
I agree, the website is shockingly poor in terms of up-to-date info. I have since gone only to here, twitter, and youtube (on the day of launch), to look for updates and livestreams.

As long as weather holds up, there will be a 48 hour double header for this weekend:

The updated time frame for launch as long as weather permits is:

June 23 Falcon 9 • BulgariaSat 1
Launch window: 1810-2010 GMT (2:10-4:10 p.m. EDT)
Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida

The weather says it will be 85 degrees and 20% chance of showers.

Last edited:
SpaceX is set to launch a used Falcon 9 this afternoon from Cape Canaveral Florida. The mission will mark the second time the company has reused a rocket. The launch is scheduled for 2:10 p.m. ET.

[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/06/23/spacex-to-launch-recycled-falcon-9-today/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Last edited by a moderator:
SpaceX is set to launch a used Falcon 9 this afternoon from Cape Canaveral Florida. The mission will mark the second time the company has reused a rocket. The launch is scheduled for 2:10 p.m. ET.

[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/06/23/spacex-to-launch-recycled-falcon-9-today/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

I think you meant to say 3:10 EST today (6/23) not 2:10- that is the back up time for tomorrow if today is scrubbed.

Successful launch, successful Max Q, Successful MECO, successful landing.

SpaceX said it was the most difficult landing they have ever attempted. From Elon:
Falcon 9 will experience its highest ever reentry force and heat in today's launch. Good chance rocket booster doesn't make it back.

Definite Roomba situation.

Edit: More from Elon:
Rocket is extra toasty and hit the deck hard (used almost all of the emergency crush core), but otherwise good.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone at SpaceX. Looking forward to see some footage in the coming week to fill in the dropped video feeds.

Right before the video cut on the 1st stage, I noticed the grid fins "on fire" (glowing red hot) like someone here on TMC had called out on a previous landing. We were paying attention to that based on the comment that this would be a high-energy landing approach.

And the last image shown from the ASDS showed a spray of water off the port side (from the POV of the camera) indicating, I think, that the stage was not descending straight down. That if reinforced by the position of the stage on the deck, which was quite near the starboard side. It's been awhile since a stage landed that far off center.

I think it was a tough landing.

I also noted that when the stage entry burn ended the cold gas thrusters came on almost immediately and the stage yawed quite a bit, as if a large correction was needed. Don't recall seeing that before, at least not so dramatically.

Bottom line is the stage landed and is intact!

And the last image shown from the ASDS showed a spray of water off the port side (from the POV of the camera) indicating, I think, that the stage was not descending straight down. That if reinforced by the position of the stage on the deck, which was quite near the starboard side. It's been awhile since a stage landed that far off center.

I think it was a tough landing.

I also noted that when the stage entry burn ended the cold gas thrusters came on almost immediately and the stage yawed quite a bit, as if a large correction was needed. Don't recall seeing that before, at least not so dramatically.

Bottom line is the stage landed and is intact!
Yeah, I thought for sure the stage had missed the ship because of that water.

Reactions: e-FTW
I noticed the grid fins "on fire" (glowing red hot)
Did also notice this.

That if reinforced by the position of the stage on the deck, which was quite near the starboard side. It's been awhile since a stage landed that far off center.
It did look like it was a burning mark on the deck at the opposite side of the center from the landing? And some trails from there to where the stage ended?