Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon door flaw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my Model X today. I was wondering if any of you have experienced this one issue I experienced today. I went to dinner and it apparently rained while I was at dinner. When we came back to the car it was no longer raining but the car was wet. We had parked on a street that appeared flat butt the car must have been at a minimal slope to the right. We opened up both Falcon doors to let our kids in and then we opened up the driver side door and then a bunch of water immediately dumped into the second row seat on the right side. What the heck? Seriously that slope was so minimal I didn't even know it was a slope. It's a flat Street but I guess the street slopes into the curb just a slight bit. Is this normal? I'm going to be dropping off my kids every day at school and if it's raining I do curbside drop-off. I am so worried that water is going to dump into my car again.

I can't edit so I will post my correction. The water dumped in through gap on the roof with the falcon door open. If your car is not parked on a completely flat surface then I guess the water will flow into this gap into your car when you open the opposite falcon door. It had nothing to do with the driver door. Anyone else have this happen? How do I prevent this from happening again?

I'm not sure exactly what term to search for, but you will find a lot of posts about this already on the forum if you look for them. General consensus seems to be that this shouldn't happen and you need to have the service center look at it. This is assuming you find the same thing in other parking positions and it isn't actually the angle of the road as you postulate. In that scenario, when at the service center, they will likely either adjust or replace the seal for the FWD in question.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy and Jen123
FWIW there have been lots of posts about this over the years, first take to service as mentioned and have the seals checked, also in heavy rain don't open both FW doors at the same time. the gutter cant handle it...

I suppose that is good advice, but the OP said it wasn't even raining at the time. It must have rained while at dinner because the car was wet. I don't think rain can get much lighter than that.

I had a momentary deluge from opening one of the doors, but it was at the bottom onto the ground, not at the top. I've never had this sort of behavior in a car before. The only rain issue I've seen was with my truck where the holes in the bottom of the doors would sometimes clog with leaves, etc and the door would collect water. The fix was to take a stick or small screwdriver and poke it up through the holes to clear the debris. It would then clog again in a year or three.

I can't edit so I will post my correction. The water dumped in through gap on the roof with the falcon door open. If your car is not parked on a completely flat surface then I guess the water will flow into this gap into your car when you open the opposite falcon door. It had nothing to do with the driver door. Anyone else have this happen? How do I prevent this from happening again?

Mine is at service and this is one of my issues being addressed. When opening either falcon wing doors, the once standing water on roof will fall into the channel as designed, but appears to be more than it can handle and will gush down as you described the seats, or child’s head if currently seated.

Initially SC replaced seals and said to adjust the settings to not open all the way in these situations. Problem still occurred and brought car back with photos and videos. I’m hoping to get car back next week, so we shall see if they resolved this. From my understanding, this is a common issue that many experience.

Reactions: Jen123
Mine is at service and this is one of my issues being addressed. When opening either falcon wing doors, the once standing water on roof will fall into the channel as designed, but appears to be more than it can handle and will gush down as you described the seats, or child’s head if currently seated.

Initially SC replaced seals and said to adjust the settings to not open all the way in these situations. Problem still occurred and brought car back with photos and videos. I’m hoping to get car back next week, so we shall see if they resolved this. From my understanding, this is a common issue that many experience.

Is this a problem with the design or a problem with construction? Can it be repaired?

Please let us know if this issue gets fixed for you . Sounds like this is a widespread problem with these doors

It’s likely the channels are getting “pinched” (again, as mxnym mentioned, a quick search will get you to the many posts on this topic). But you’ll quickly see many of them are quite old as Tesla figured this out maybe 3-6 months after the X launched...I want to say maybe early 2017 is when it was identified?

The Service Center should be able to fix the issue so the channels guide the rain down the doorframe and not into your seat.

Reactions: Jen123