Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing adjustment of height

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just updated my MX computer to MCU2 and full self driving. I am trying to adjust my falcon wing door height. When garage is closed it goes to a higher height than when garage door is open. If the garage door opens while Falcon wing is up it hits the open door! Lucky me learned that the hard way and $1700 later! Previously I adjusted the height with a “location specific” option on my control panel with the animated door. I no longer see this option. Any suggestions?

That's never a fun way to learn lessons for sure. Not a MCU upgrade but I had a FSD V3 upgrade a few weeks back and it took a day or two for the car to present me the latest firmware release to utilize it. It's odd that the option for height adjustment is missing though. I'd schedule service as they might be able to correct that remotely.

Just updated my MX computer to MCU2 and full self driving. I am trying to adjust my falcon wing door height. When garage is closed it goes to a higher height than when garage door is open. If the garage door opens while Falcon wing is up it hits the open door! Lucky me learned that the hard way and $1700 later! Previously I adjusted the height with a “location specific” option on my control panel with the animated door. I no longer see this option. Any suggestions?
Looks like there is 'auto' and 'low' in the door controls menu.

i7y4qZW.jpg

The manual reads to me like you can save custom heights but only have it detects it can't raise to full height (and its the first time at that location?) ?

2Cc0c2Q.jpg

Thank you for that reply! Yes I have the setting of auto and low but as described in the manual if you override the height the touchscreen should display a message asking if you change the height for this location. I am not getting that option now. Before my MCU2 upgrade I had it and used that option to avoid what happened to my car. Also am now not getting any notifications that a door is left open. I should get a notification on my phone. I have tried everything I can think of. I have deleted the app, reinstalled the app, installed the app on another phone just in case it was an issue with my phone. Any advice?

Also am now not getting any notifications that a door is left open. I should get a notification on my phone. I have tried everything I can think of. I have deleted the app, reinstalled the app, installed the app on another phone just in case it was an issue with my phone. Any advice?
It takes 10 min for the notification. Is that what you waited?
The first feature is called "Car Left Open Notifications," and it's pretty straightforward. If you ever leave the trunk, frunk, or any door open for more than 10 minutes the Tesla app will send an alert to your phone. It will also alert you if all the doors are locked but a window is open.

Yes I have the setting of auto and low
What do you mean 'and'? Are you using Auto *or* Low in that menu option?

I don't know about the FWD. I upgraded my MCU1->MCU2 as well but I don't know if something changed with that or with the many subtle OTA update changes! The FWD stuff has changed constantly. I had a Sig X and was on version 3 sensors by the end (before the RIP deer). The height stuff changed a lot. At some point it seems like they are just relying on the sensors but in your case the doors are left open and there wasn't obstructions at that point in time. Then your garage door closed on them at a different point in time.

Yes I have waited much longer than 10 min. Unfortunately I no longer get alerts.

I have tried to adjust the falcon wing height on both settings, auto and low. Neither one gives me the popup to “keep height at this location only”.

The day I brought home my car with the new MCU2 and FSD one falcon wing door opened on its own sometime during the night. The next morning my Tesla technician called me to check on the calibration of my full self drive. While on the phone with him I opened the garage door and he heard me say “why did my falcon wing open on it own?”. Then we heard the garage door hit the falcon wing and scrape it going across. Something is wrong on the falcon wing for it to open on it own. Key was in the car so it was not accidentally hit to open it. Also when starting the Christmas “Easter egg” at the part when the wings open up it just stops about 1/5 the way open. Now with both safety features not working on the falcon door I have to keep a sign on the garage telling anyone to check to make sure all doors are closed before opening the garage door. Not the best solution for my problem.

Yes I have waited much longer than 10 min. Unfortunately I no longer get alerts.

I have tried to adjust the falcon wing height on both settings, auto and low. Neither one gives me the popup to “keep height at this location only”.

The day I brought home my car with the new MCU2 and FSD one falcon wing door opened on its own sometime during the night. The next morning my Tesla technician called me to check on the calibration of my full self drive. While on the phone with him I opened the garage door and he heard me say “why did my falcon wing open on it own?”. Then we heard the garage door hit the falcon wing and scrape it going across. Something is wrong on the falcon wing for it to open on it own. Key was in the car so it was not accidentally hit to open it. Also when starting the Christmas “Easter egg” at the part when the wings open up it just stops about 1/5 the way open. Now with both safety features not working on the falcon door I have to keep a sign on the garage telling anyone to check to make sure all doors are closed before opening the garage door. Not the best solution for my problem.[/QUOTE]
I'm really sorry. I've made a mistake or two like this and it pains me thinking about it.

It seems any inconsistency that is not working is something you could take to Tesla service and really these seem like they would be mobile things. When I have something weird I take a picture even if that visual is not required because it gives me a timestamp in the picture meta data. Then when talking with Tesla I can give them the time down to the minute so they can look at a log.

I've had the alert from my frunk or trunk or drivers door left open. I've never tried the FWD. I'll try it now for 11 minutes. If it doesn't work I will let you know.

If your Xmas Easter egg doesn't work on one door that would seem like it would be in the log and may be a hint to a overall problem.

I haven't seen that popup about the height for a long time. Potentially it won't do it again at a GPS location but that seems a little dumb since you should be able to reset it. However, you could go to a neighbors garage or a overhang or low tree or something to try opening the FWDs there to see if you get it. Just brainstorming.

I like your idea about going to another garage! Weird thing is if it was set for my garage, and therefore not giving me the pop up menu now, my falcon wing door never should have been hit by my garage door as it was set for maximum height when garage door was open. I will for sure go to a neighbor’s garage!

Hello, in the market to buy a Model X. What is the height clearance needed for falcon doors to be fully open? Is it 7 ft 2 inches? I moved to a new house where we are getting overhead garage storage installed so want to make sure I have enough clearance for the Model X falcon doors. Anything else I need to plan for?

Hello, in the market to buy a Model X. What is the height clearance needed for falcon doors to be fully open? Is it 7 ft 2 inches? I moved to a new house where we are getting overhead garage storage installed so want to make sure I have enough clearance for the Model X falcon doors. Anything else I need to plan for?
Lot of details here: Wiki - Model X FAQ (wiki)