Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a current owner of the Model 3 looking to get a used Model X. Tesla is not the best when it comes to servicing their vehicles so I would prefer to avoid it altogether if possible. Should I get a used model S instead of the X bc of the falcon doors? how reliable are they? how often do they fail? and can they be use manually if they do fail? any other common issues?

I can only offer one data point. I have an Aug 2016 MX. Early on, I had one case of "phantom obstacle" but it was corrected with a firmware update. The doors have been flawless ever since. With a family of four, our FW doors get a lot of use.

Just sensor replacements for phantom obstacles. Nearly all the problems I've read about have been simple adjustments or small component replacements, or dings from opening them in tight spaces. While they are complex, they have not required a bunch of total replacements.

Inside a garage they may default to a low enough opening that it could be hard to get in, or you could hit your head on the door. That's one reason why they don't hit stuff in tight spaces anymore.

With the phantom obstacle problem, my wife was so used to overriding the FWD that she tried to open it full inside a very low parking garage. It hit a big pipe in the ceiling and put a tiny scratch in the paint. So operator error can be a problem.

I think the FWD reliability concern is way overblown, based only on complexity, not experience. Of course we only have a few years of anecdotal data so far, so who knows how much trouble they'll be in 20 years.

I have a 2016 Model X P90DL and recently it has developed a case of phantom obstacle on the driver side FWD (Falcon Wing Door). The door begins to close and right when it's about to latch it stops and a series of beeps are heard. The screen inside the vehicle displays an error (Obstacle Detected). I have to either override from screen or press lock on the key fob for it to complete the closing action. I find it weird that either with the override or with the secondary press of the key fob it closes without issue. It's mostly on the first attempt to close the door once it's been opened. Not sure if anyone else can chime in on this? From my research, I've heard some other members have had to get the ultrasonic sensor replaced inside the door itself. I've already tried cleaning the rubber seals around the door to no avail.

I have a 2016 Model X P90DL and recently it has developed a case of phantom obstacle on the driver side FWD (Falcon Wing Door). The door begins to close and right when it's about to latch it stops and a series of beeps are heard. The screen inside the vehicle displays an error (Obstacle Detected). I have to either override from screen or press lock on the key fob for it to complete the closing action. I find it weird that either with the override or with the secondary press of the key fob it closes without issue. It's mostly on the first attempt to close the door once it's been opened. Not sure if anyone else can chime in on this? From my research, I've heard some other members have had to get the ultrasonic sensor replaced inside the door itself. I've already tried cleaning the rubber seals around the door to no avail.
I had exactly the same issue. Service center fixed it .Happened more than an year ago. Did not recur.

Had our model X delivered Oct 2017. We have four kids so they get used a lot.
We had water leak at one point on passenger side and some ghosting. Other than that it's great.

My only true worry is breakdowns when warranty goes. i keep cars for a long time, still have a 99 civic. Eventually everything goes and/or needs maintenance or major fixing.

If I had to buy it again I would. It's great with kids especially little ones getting them belted up in car seats.