TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Fantastic Article: Model S vs. Model T

Discussion in 'News' started by farzyness, Sep 14, 2013.

1. farzyness

farzyness Food lover. Entrepreneur. Did I say food lover?

2. caddieo

caddieo Member

Great article. However, I tend to agree with one of the commentators that the Ford Model S is a better comparison for the Tesla S. The Ford S, due to its limited numbers and price was basically a rich man's toy - a criticism often leveled at the Tesla S. In that context, the Gen III would be more analogous to the Ford Model T, both built to be more affordable and able to saturate the market.

3. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

I believe I read somewhere that the Tesla Model S WAS named after the Ford Model S... Could be wrong. I always thought the "S" stood for Sedan...

4. Odenator

Odenator P2607

Should have cleaned off the dead bugs before letting Bill take photos of the car.

5. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

Great article comparing Ford's Model T (1913) w/ Tesla's Model S (2013):

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/automotive-revolutions-100-years-apart-how-the-past-predicts-the-future-of-driving/
    P.S. a quick "back of the napkin" calc says the Model S is at least as affordable as the Model T was back in it's day:
    In 1913, the model T cost $500 and gas was $0.02/gallon, or about 25000 times the cost of a gallon of gas. In 2013, 25000 times $4/gallon gas = $100,000. At the base price of $60,000, Model S is at least as affordable as the $500 Model T car was. Gen III will be a game changer.

6. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Great article and I really liked the extensive details on the Model T usability or lack-thereof

7. Benz

Benz Active Member

Nice article, and it is funny as well.

8. djplong

djplong Member

Well, going by inflation calculators, as opposed to a multiple of the price of gas, that $500 in 1913 is worth about $11,800 today.