Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fast under-body repair 2018 M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tronguy

Supporting Member
May 4, 2019
New Jersey
So, as some of you may have heard, we had a Nor'Easter pass through NJ a couple of days ago. I swear, I didn't go through any deep water; maybe, a few, couple-inch-deep puddles. But one of them must have done the damage: One of the "Aero shields", which looks like a piece of black, ruggedized cardboard that sits directly behind the battery pack on the bottom of the car, had separated and partly ripped. A flap of the material was hanging down and dragging on the ground, as I discovered later that afternoon as I was getting set to go home and heard the noise.
Tried shoving it back into place: well, in the center of the bottom of the car, hard to reach, but it did sort of move into position. And, while I was watching, a couple of quarts of water drained down from the general area, where I guess it had been scooped up into the motor area that morning.
Got home, the thing was down again and dragging.
Thought about it some. Yes, I could probably rip it off of there, but then water and road debris could get up, at speed, into where Wires Live, and, well, that wouldn't be good.
So, did Roadside Assistance on the app. Not much in terms of, "Random stuff hanging off the bottom of the car.", so used, "Accident", that being the closest. Got a ding from the people after fifteen minutes or so, explained what was up, and they ended up closing the ticket: It wasn't in the short list of Things That They Do. They suggested a body shop.
Stewed for a bit. Got out some duct tape, and, to the best of my ability, considering that all the damage was about as far as I could reach under the car, taped it all up in there. I do have a floor jack and jackstands, but (a) one needs those hockey-puck things to lift the car up and (b) not sure these 30-year-old jackstands have the strength to hold a Tesla in mid-air.
Put the car in for service in the app. Scheduled for 11/17, not good, given that the duct tape wasn't that good a solution.
Next morning, bright and early, headed to the Tesla Service Center in Springfield, NJ. Got there just after they opened, parked outside, and threw myself on their mercy. They took pity; one of the guys went into the back and discovered that they had the part! They took me in on the spot and had the shield replaced and me on my way, $200 poorer, but with a working car, within the hour.
Morals:
  1. All those horror stories about Tesla SC's may or may not be true, but I got nothing but admiration for those guys in Springfield. I was half-expecting to be drop kicked out of there, but they came through.
  2. Hm.. Had the part in stock. They're not a body shop, I suspect that this is a steady runner. Don't go through puddles fast. New one seems a bit different shape.
  3. From The Martian: "Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped." I think I'll start carrying a roll in the bottom of the trunk.