Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faster M3 Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The article was not referring to V3 Supercharging. It referred to the V2 Supercharger upgrade that upped the max kW from 120 to 150.

Following the original update a lot of folks reported that while the initial charge rate was higher the overall charge time was not improved significantly. (That was my experience, too.) The Electrek article supposed that the 2019.20.2 update tweaked the V2 charge to reduce overall charge time.

In case I was unclear, my question is whether anyone is noticing an improvement in the charge profile at V2 120/150 kW chargers compared to the initial roll out?

Last edited:
The article was not referring to V3 Supercharging. It referred to the V2 Supercharger upgrade that upped the max kW from 120 to 150.

Following the original update a lot of folks reported that while the initial charge rate was higher the overall charge time was not improved significantly. (That was my experience, too.) The Electrek article supposed that the 2019.20.2 update tweaked the V2 charge to reduce overall charge time.

In case I was unclear, my question is whether anyone is noticing an improvement in the charge profile at V2 120/150 kW chargers compared to the initial roll out?
The post referred to cars with the recent firmware on 150kW Superchargers.

The Electrek article supposed nothing. It was just repeating what u/Wugz said here: 2019.20.2 Supercharging is 20% Faster : teslamotors

The post referred to cars with the recent firmware on 150kW Superchargers.

Partially true. The article referred to the 2019.20.2 update which is subsequent to the 150kW introduction. They supposed that there was unannounced tweaking in 2019.20.2 that improved 150kW charging rates. Has nothing to do with V3 which is the subject of the thread you pointed me to in your original post.

I don't have a 120/150 kW charger nearby so I'm just asking if anyone has seen this supposed change.

"At the same time [as the V3 update], Tesla unlocked even more power out of its existing [V2] Supercharger stations. They went from 120 kW to 150 KW max capacity.

While some owners were able to reach higher charge rates following this update, the overall charging curve didn’t seem to be optimized for the new capacity.

It appears to have been optimized with the release of the new 2019.20.2 software update when using the new On-route Battery Warmup feature.
"

Partially true. The article referred to the 2019.20.2 update which is subsequent to the 150kW introduction. They supposed that there was unannounced tweaking in 2019.20.2 that improved 150kW charging rates. Has nothing to do with V3 which is the subject of the thread you pointed me to in your original post.

I don't have a 120/150 kW charger nearby so I'm just asking if anyone has seen this supposed change.

"At the same time [as the V3 update], Tesla unlocked even more power out of its existing [V2] Supercharger stations. They went from 120 kW to 150 KW max capacity.

While some owners were able to reach higher charge rates following this update, the overall charging curve didn’t seem to be optimized for the new capacity.

It appears to have been optimized with the release of the new 2019.20.2 software update when using the new On-route Battery Warmup feature.
"
The other thread is about the V3 profiles that Tesla first released with 19.20.1. These profiles offer a slight improvement over the previous 150kW V2 profiles released with 19.12.1. Examples of the confirmed change are in that thread. The article is incorrect in associating the change to 19.20.2 as it occured in 19.20.1. Here's a recent graph:
20190622 3LR SC chrg.png

Ref: V3 Supercharging Profiles for Model 3

The article is incorrect in associating the change to 19.20.2 as it occured in 19.20.1.

Thanks for that. More or less answers my question.

The reason I asked is I have had two opportunities to charge at 150kW and both times my experience was similar to the "out of spec" line. Both times the overall charge times that were not much different from a plain ol' 120kW charge despite an initial 500 MPH indication.

What’s not frequently said is that just the right thermal conditions need to exist in your car and the charger for these 145+kW rates to be seen.

I haven’t been able to experience the fastest charge rates either. Yesterday I went to a Supercharger expecting to see 146kW or so and only got a brief glimpse at 133kW before it declined. In that case, I think the 150kW V2 charger was too hot.