Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fault #981

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ion_1

Aug 11, 2016
NJ
536 has been running great, but yesterday I went to charge at 240/16A as usual and received a red LED charge fault:
"Charging Problem"
It would retry 3-4 times and then stop.

Went into diagnostics saw fault codes:

#981 (which I believe is DMC FW: Bad State Transition Fault) posted 2X
followed by #1067.
#1067 is an error that has popped up for me randomly over the past 2-3 years.

I searched the forum and saw only one other #981 related post , but that was following a bad contactor fault which I do not have.

Also tried the 115V cable, same error.

Waited 12 hrs, retried, same problem.

Has anyone come across this sequence of errors?

Thanks-

Has anyone come across this sequence of errors?
I haven't, but I have some ideas based on the sequence and source of errors.
1) Go into the diagnostic menu and check the Vbatt value in ESS->V&T. Now with the Roadster off and not charging, go back to the main menu and check the Vbatt value in PEM/Motor. Then, turn on the Roadster and see if the Vbatt(PEM) voltage changes to match the Vbatt(BSM) voltage you checked earlier. When the contactor clicks in the PEM, the high voltage bus in the PEM gets energized with the battery voltage and so you should see the Vbatt(PEM) voltage jump up and back down as the Roadster is turned on and off.
2) Check the voltage on the high voltage bus in the PEM manually with a multimeter as the Roadster is turned on and off
3) Does the Roadster drive?
4) Check the log file for discrepancies

Results from this pm:

1) Go into the diagnostic menu and check the Vbatt value in ESS->V&T. Now with the Roadster off and not charging, go back to the main menu and check the Vbatt value in PEM/Motor.

-- ESS Vbatt=398V max/min cell= 4.01V/4.00V

-- PEM/Motor Vbatt Roadster Off = 253V

Then, turn on the Roadster and see if the Vbatt(PEM) voltage changes to match the Vbatt(BSM) voltage you checked earlier.

-- PEM/Motor Roadster ON Vbatt = 253V : does not match ESS Vbatt

When the contactor clicks in the PEM, the high voltage bus in the PEM gets energized with the battery voltage and so you should see the Vbatt(PEM) voltage jump up and back down as the Roadster is turned on and off.

-- No change with on/off, it remains at 253V; bad contactor?

2) Check the voltage on the high voltage bus in the PEM manually with a multimeter as the Roadster is turned on and off

-- Hope to do this later tonight, but evidence pretty strong so far

3) Does the Roadster drive?

-- No..Just flashes charger problem error when you place in gear. No current.

4) Check the log file for discrepancies

-- Downloaded full log, nothing stands out to me at least

Thanks again for all your help!

Just wanted to close this strange fault error issue out for future reference.
New PEM, basic reason is the mismatch in measured vs actual voltages of the Batt via PEM (as is clear from the above analysis). Specifically why i.e. which component failure? No clear answer at this point but detailed analysis may be available at a later date once the core is analyzed by Tesla. Also learned remanufactured PEMs are supposedly completely remanufactured with a full tear down, not just replacement of a single defective component.

If this includes the insulation under the power IGBTs, that is extremely good to know!

Unfortunately no more clarification was given. 100% agree with you, ideal case would be the insulation and other limited lifetime components would be replaced.

My general worry about remanufactured PEMs (either in the case of a PEM replacement for a repair or an R80 upgrade), is whether I am receiving PEM that has gone through a few overheating cycles due to bad fan connector etc., and I am just receiving someone else's abused PEM which is on the verge of failure. Which, will, of course, occur just when the very short warranty expires... So I hope the remanufacturing process is a bit more comprehensive for a tag approaching 10k.

For this particular fault, I could not find anything similar posted on the forum. I'm really interested to ID specifically what component in the PEM failed and the cause. If I knew for certain that the PEM was the issue and not a contactor or other source in the battery, I probably would have just pulled the PEM and sent it to Gruber. I was just concerned it wasn't going to be the PEM in the end.

Regardless, the tech at Springfield NJ was really great to work with and did great work.

• Informative
Reactions: Roadster
It's such a shame. An iconic car that's been hung out to rot.
I wouldn't jump all the way to that conclusion. Tesla is contractually obligated to supply replacement battery packs. There are very few stories of Tesla not being able to supply parts. The bad stories are that it sometimes takes weeks or months to get the parts. And many of the seasoned Roadster techs have moved on so they often don't know what they're doing. Regardless, I wouldn't go so far as to say we've been completely hung out to dry.

I wouldn't jump all the way to that conclusion. Tesla is contractually obligated to supply replacement battery packs. There are very few stories of Tesla not being able to supply parts. The bad stories are that it sometimes takes weeks or months to get the parts. And many of the seasoned Roadster techs have moved on so they often don't know what they're doing. Regardless, I wouldn't go so far as to say we've been completely hung out to dry.

Try telling that to the 20-30 owners on Hong Kong cars Mr Sharp...there is basically zero they can do here.

Try telling that to the 20-30 owners on Hong Kong cars Mr Sharp...there is basically zero they can do here.
Dear Icon, question for you! I am vincent everts, trendwatcher (vincenteverts.nl) and electric mobility expert (zelfsturing.it) question: I'm going to China from september 6-14. visiting Hong Kong, Shenzhen and Beijing. The purpose of a trip is Electric mobility. we going to visit BYD, Tesla, The government of Beijing and other organisations. I would love to connect to Tesla drivers in HK! Do you maybe have time sept 6th? see evreizen.nl (dutch ....)

• Informative
Reactions: ICON
If you would like to stay at Hotel ICON and take a look at our prototyped shuttle busses and fully electric transport fleet I can extend a favourable friends rate :

Home page

email me

With warm regards,

Richard Hatter

FIH EMBA CHE

General Manager |Hotel ICON

Adjunct Associate Professor |School of Hotel & Tourism Management of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University

Chairman, Hong Kong Branch |Institute of Hospitality

General Manager of the Year | The BMW Hotelier Awards Greater China 2018

Address

:

17 Science Museum Road

Tsim Sha Tsui East, Kowloon, Hong Kong

Direct

:

+852 3400 1089

Email

:

[email protected]