Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Passenger Safety Restraint System Fault at Delivery - a total of 4 repairs and 20 days in service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am new to Tesla and I think I have a new lemon vehicle.

1st repair attempt for the same error:
I took delivery of my MYLR basic build on March 3, 2023. After I signed off for delivery, I was about to drive away but for the error message on the front passenger's safety restraint system fault. I came home with an M3 loaner. SC replaced the sensor kit and I got back my "new" car on 03/08.

2nd and 3rd repair attempts for the same error:
The error message came up on 03/16 and I schedule another service appt for 03/21 as it was the earliest available time and not knowing whether it was safe. This time it was the same message for a different error code. SC replaced the seat itself. I went to pick up my vehicle on 03/22, the next day. Just as I was about to drive off and go home, the same error message light came on again. It was for another error code. So, I went home with another M3 loaner. I did not pick up my vehicle until 03/25/23.

4th repair attempt for the same error:
The 4th error message for "front passenger safety restraint system fault" came up on 04/07/23. My service appointment was scheduled for 04/13/23 being the earliest available time. This time SC took a week and replaced the harness and yet still do not know if it has been fixed. I went to pick up my vehicle yesterday afternoon. SC writer charged my vehicle up and provide a car wash and all seem to be well.

I went home and found my glass roof was cracked starting from the front driver's side and extending out to the passenger side. I called SC but no one picked up because it was after 5 pm. I have my family in the car going to have dinner but we drove to SC instead to show the SC the crack. My SC writer at the SC said the crack happened without impact because I did not cause it after just repossessing my vehicle for about 3 hours. The service writer said that the repair potentially rattle the vehicle and caused the glass to crack. SC told me that is still safe to drive it but this morning I saw the crack line extended all the way near the end of the passenger side.

Yesterday, I was scheduled for yet another service appointment to repair the glass sunroof. I do not know what would break next and my days in possession of my vehicle would eventually be outnumbered by its days in service. I think I have had enough!!!:mad: I have been positive throughout and kept my cool but...there is a limit.

I am scared to drive it honestly and this is the vehicle we use to transport my toddler.

I have owned the car for 38 days but my MYLR has been in service for 20 days. This is a nightmare. :eek:

I just needed to vent out what has been going on with my MYLR...Thank you for reading my post. Hope that my experience would not be replicated by anyone else.

That is a bummer. California has a Lemon Law, so look into that.

I am in NY with a 2021 model Y which I am very happy with.... however I have had the "front right seat system fault" almost since I got the car... since it had 2400 miles. I have now had 5 repair attempts completed (some requiring me to leave the car for a few days -- and it's a two hour drive each way to the SC). I am scheduled for the 6th attempt now, The fault occurred at: 2400, 2986, 10336, 12002, 12365, and currently 15912 miles, New York has a Lemon Law but I am hesitent to file as I think you have to pre accept results of arbitration. But I have the Lemon Law form ready to file. Lemon Law here is only up to 18000 miles. Sooo...??

BTW in NY if the car is out of service for more than 30 days you can make a claim.

Followup to my "front right seat safety restraint system fault" problem (above). Results for the sixth attempt at repair:

I too the car to the service center (2 hour drive each way). Arrived at 9:45 am on FRIDAY 1 July. Was told they would be done in late pm. I waited until 5:30 pm and was told they needed to keep the car. Was given a model 3 loaner (with full self driving). My car was not available until 5:30 pm on JULY 10!

It is repaired. They removed and replaced several things including the seat... but have done that before. I do have a Lemon Law case in process... but not sure what I will do. I love the car, BUT is it really fixed?

Persue a refund or replacement through CA lemon law. Not sure what the CA rules are, but in VA, it is 3 repair attempts or 30 days in service for the same issue within the first year of ownership. I've been successful in either obtaining a replacement vehicle or a full refund both times I went this route. Once you officially start the process, the dealer/manufacturer is bound by law and can't ignore you. I've gone this path for different manufacturers each time (neither were Tesla), but both vehicles were from beloved brands. Vehicle forums are mostly about discussing problems, so it appears that Teslas have a ton of issues. In my decades of experience owning cars, I find mechanical and fit/finish problems are is relatively equal across the board.

Followup to my "front right seat safety restraint system fault" problem (above). Results for the sixth attempt at repair:

I too the car to the service center (2 hour drive each way). Arrived at 9:45 am on FRIDAY 1 July. Was told they would be done in late pm. I waited until 5:30 pm and was told they needed to keep the car. Was given a model 3 loaner (with full self driving). My car was not available until 5:30 pm on JULY 10!

It is repaired. They removed and replaced several things including the seat... but have done that before. I do have a Lemon Law case in process... but not sure what I will do. I love the car, BUT is it really fixed?
Still pursuing a Lemon Law case. Looks good! A Tesla Rep has emailed a full price repurchase offer which I will apply to a new model Y (I like the car). However, still up in the air as the delivery side of Tesla still does not seem to know about this repurchase agreement offer! So they keep telling me to arrange for pickup of the new car but cannot confirm that Tesla has agreed to repurchase the old car (MY). The two parts of Tesla don't seem to communicate, and no one seems to have phone numbers, or only rarely answer them, and don"t seem to be in a hurry to respond to emails. Fortunately New York has a good Lemon Law that provides for arbitration and provides a professional arbitration contact for me to deal with. They seem well organized.

Followup INFO: Picked up my brand new 2023 model Y.... same features as the lemon (except the faults? :)). Not fully satisfied with the way it worked because the method was for me to place an order for the replacement through the normal process AND pay up front for the new car. I did. Now I should receive a check for the full value of the old car... not yet received. So at present I am out approx 50k. But I have a signed agreement. If is goes through I will actually make a bit of money on the deals... since it is a new purchase I will get the tax break. This was not an arbitration case (which is still pending with NY) but a direct offer from Tesla in response to the Lemon Law case. Pending NY case will be cancelled once I get my repurchase check via "overnight mail".
🤞🤞

Followup INFO: Picked up my brand new 2023 model Y.... same features as the lemon (except the faults? :)). Not fully satisfied with the way it worked because the method was for me to place an order for the replacement through the normal process AND pay up front for the new car. I did. Now I should receive a check for the full value of the old car... not yet received. So at present I am out approx 50k. But I have a signed agreement. If is goes through I will actually make a bit of money on the deals... since it is a new purchase I will get the tax break. This was not an arbitration case (which is still pending with NY) but a direct offer from Tesla in response to the Lemon Law case. Pending NY case will be cancelled once I get my repurchase check via "overnight mail".
🤞🤞
Still awaiting repurchase check two weeks later!!! :mad:

Still awaiting repurchase check :mad:

New York State says that since I now have a signed agreement, the Lemon Law case can be closed.:oops:

:mad::mad:
My goodness... getting hold of a person at Tesla is VERY DIFFICULT. I had a brief conversation with Ben Fang who is in Freemont CA and who made the buyback offer back in July, but now reaching him by phone or email is impossible. Getting hold of the service center (Mt Kisco NY about 5 hrs away) where I surrendered the Lemon Car is also difficult. I finally got hold of an actual person by selecting "service department' from the audio 'menu' and then I think 'other' which allowed me to leave a message ("you never paid me!!!") and go onto hold.... Like other people I have talked to at service centers he was very professional and polite, put me on hold while he found who could help me and sent me an actual email with contact information and told me they would be in touch soon. That was yesterday (Aug 24, 2023). Nothing new today. I think some of their confusion is due to the fact that I bought a new vehicle but turning in the old one was a buy-back not a trade-in.... so the Tesla app is not involved with that part.

Still waiting for my check! o_O

My goodness... getting hold of a person at Tesla is VERY DIFFICULT. I had a brief conversation with Ben Fang who is in Freemont CA and who made the buyback offer back in July, but now reaching him by phone or email is impossible. Getting hold of the service center (Mt Kisco NY about 5 hrs away) where I surrendered the Lemon Car is also difficult. I finally got hold of an actual person by selecting "service department' from the audio 'menu' and then I think 'other' which allowed me to leave a message ("you never paid me!!!") and go onto hold.... Like other people I have talked to at service centers he was very professional and polite, put me on hold while he found who could help me and sent me an actual email with contact information and told me they would be in touch soon. That was yesterday (Aug 24, 2023). Nothing new today. I think some of their confusion is due to the fact that I bought a new vehicle but turning in the old one was a buy-back not a trade-in.... so the Tesla app is not involved with that part.

Got a response!!! “the signed settlement documents were misplaced. After I inquired, they were able to find the documents and verify them. They have requested a check and you should receive a tracking number within 24-48 hours. The check will be issued either tomorrow or Monday.“ …. 👍

Reactions: rpo

Finally!! I received my buyback check from Tesla today. Full refund on original purchase price including taxes paid. Thanks Tesla.

Reactions: alstoralset