Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Feature Request] Drag Strip "Bump Box" - Bumping into the 2nd bulb

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[Feature]
Program the scroll wheel on the left or right on the steering wheel/yoke to be able to very finely roll the car forward by an inch or two while it's all the way down in cheetah stance to take the 2nd bulb in a drag race.

[Description]
When launching the car at the drag strip and maintaining drag strip etiquette (not taking 2 bulbs at once), it gets very difficult to time "cheetah stance" and the full launch mode sequence with another racer. It generally involves you discussing your race before hand so you can get the best out of launch mode. A "Bump Box" on an ICE vehicle is a micro processor attached to the trans brake that allows you very fine movements forwards so you can take the first bulb, build boost or RPMs and then bump in to take the 2nd bulb while maintaining boost and RPMs and stage the race. This feature will let Model S and X owners make the most out of launch mode at the drag strip.

Reactions: Scubamikey
Upvote 0
What about a drag race mode where the car watches the tree and launches at the precise time :)

Or even better, if you're first at a traffic light it'll launch the moment the light turns green (I know, not safe... but it would be a neat feature)
I'm not sure I understand your response. Have you ever launched a Raven + Model S or X on the strip? If you have, I'm still curious to understand your response.

It takes about 10 seconds for the car to get fully into launch mode. At the strip, while the tree is slightly random, once both racers take the 2nd bulb, you've maybe got 2 or 3 seconds before the tree starts. Not anywhere near enough time for the car to get all the way into launch mode.

Launch mode on these vehicles is a track feature and not really designed for the street. Not to say you can't (everyone does), however, its application is specifically for the track. Why not finish the feature and provide a bump box. My hopes with this feature request is that drag racers will support the idea :).