Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Federal EV coming this budget 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I think they are probably keeping tight lipped about the option to upgrade for a fee, because that will make it pretty easy for the government to disqualify them from the program.....because they could do the same thing with any of their cars: buy a crippled P100DL for 44,999 that has 10km of EV range and does 0-60 in 1 minute....but then pay $140k to 'upgrade' it to full performance...where does it end? For now, I think they will keep the 'upgrade' off the books for a little while at least :)

Agreed. They only need to keep it off the books until the federal election, at which point they offer a software upgrade to unlock the rest of the battery capacity. 100% this 150km version is a software limited battery.

Someone here ordered a M3 SR before the announcement? My car is now listed at 44 999$ with a standard interior...start to worry they are going to deliver a 150km version instead of a 352km version...

It does look like it's the "crippled" 150km version (let's name it SR- for now). Better check with Tesla and see. From what I've read at electrek.co, there is no upgrading after delivery.

Tesla is not allowing range upgrade on new 150 km Model 3 in Canada – DO NOT BUY

But again, this may just be a strategy to show the government that Tesla is not playing games. After the dust settled, with the track records of ever-changing decision, Tesla will contact all the owner of this SR- to upgrade to SR+ with the price difference. It's essentially free $ for them since everything can be unlocked via software.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Seems kind of crazy on both sides. Government picks losers (compliance cars no one wants) and losers (Tesla) by excluding the most popular EV on the market.

If the Liberals were serious about reducing GHGs... Put the limit up to 75K and call it a day with scaling.

5K for 45K MRSP or less, 4K for 46K to 50K, 3K for 50,001 to 55K, 2K for 55,001 to 60K, and 1K for 60,001+.

Reactions: Vawlkus and pcons
Someone here ordered a M3 SR before the announcement? My car is now listed at 44 999$ with a standard interior...start to worry they are going to deliver a 150km version instead of a 352km version...
I'd wait and then refuse delivery if it's set at 150km on your delivery day. It wouldn't be the car you ordered and you would have every right to refuse delivery.

I have a feeling Tesla will honour the SR orders in Canada made before May 1st at 47600 (+ delivery + tax) at the originally stated range of 354km, and they will qualify for the federal incentive. Those buyers will be the ultimate winners, as they will effectively get an SR+ without AP, which may or may not be software locked by Tesla in the future, for 47600+1300*13% HST - federal rebate = 50257 + registration. One heck of a deal!!

Government needs to please as much people as possible....elections...
please those who want to biy an ev, not piss of those who think money goes to rich people...hence the restrictions...:-(

Yet they piss away $12 MILLION to Loblaws to buy new fridges

If it's about helping stop climate change, than there shouldn't be a cap. Otherwise, why bother with these programs and just lower my damm taxes instead.

Reactions: Gen3
Government needs to please as much people as possible....elections...
please those who want to biy an ev, not piss of those who think money goes to rich people...hence the restrictions...:-(

What restrictions? Smoke and mirrors. You can get the federal $5000 rebate on a SR+ $67000.
Same goes for any other EV that fits the mold but has tons of very expensive options list.
You think average Canadian voters have over $60,000 to spend on a vehicle?

What restrictions? Smoke and mirrors. You can get the federal $5000 rebate on a SR+ $67000.
Same goes for any other EV that fits the mold but has tons of very expensive options list.
You think average Canadian voters have over $60,000 to spend on a vehicle?
I don't think so, however I can see a lot of pricey cars out there.
Anyway if they don't do the rebate, it looks bad because it will be interpreted like they don't care about the environment. But if they give a rebate on very expensive car, precisely, the average voter will be pissed because they feel that the money goes to people who don't need it
Also I bet there is pressure from other car makers who don't like Tesla's competition.

I am just saying that there is probably a lot going on around the rebate issue specially with the election coming up.

I have a feeling Tesla will honour the SR orders in Canada made before May 1st at 47600 (+ delivery + tax) at the originally stated range of 354km, and they will qualify for the federal incentive. Those buyers will be the ultimate winners, as they will effectively get an SR+ without AP, which may or may not be software locked by Tesla in the future, for 47600+1300*13% HST - federal rebate = 50257 + registration. One heck of a deal!!
Why when they didn't honor those who ordered the MR.

• Informative
Reactions: Gen3