Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feels like Blasphemy: Off Grid Charging

Are we crazy?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another consideration, in addition to all of the others: At least some portion of that generator's 262 pound weight should be subtracted from the 500 pound tongue weight limit on your X, because it is in the rear of the vehicle. You may want to do the GAWR math.

I think this is a bad idea for a wide variety of reasons. We've towed our 22' trailer thousands of miles, including in OP's neck of the woods, and some logistical planning goes a long way toward eliminating the need for a generator.

Reactions: DvLang
Another consideration, in addition to all of the others: At least some portion of that generator's 262 pound weight should be subtracted from the 500 pound tongue weight limit on your X, because it is in the rear of the vehicle. You may want to do the GAWR math.

I think this is a bad idea for a wide variety of reasons. We've towed our 22' trailer thousands of miles, including in OP's neck of the woods, and some logistical planning goes a long way toward eliminating the need for a generator.

I think you are right about planning. But sometimes you are so far out there that you either have to decide to not go there or live with this type of solution. One campground had zero services (not even 120V) was 30 minutes out of cellular service and we arrived there with barely enough battery to make it back to the closest DCFC. We’ve taken to driving the car without the trailer to the nearest DCFC then driving it back to the campsite with close to a full charge. It takes several hours out of one of our camp days, but such is life towing with an electric vehicle. Worse is when there is no DCFC anywhere near and you have to find a L2 and spend the better part of the day waiting for a reasonable charge to continue on.

We’ve clocked over 5,000 towed KM so far this summer so we’ve come to a good understanding of where we can go and what resources are in the areas we’ve been to.

The idea of putting the generator in was to ensure we never got stuck. The EU7000is charges the X at 240V 24A which nets is around 6% an hour. Many of the campgrounds we go to have a total of 4 generator hours a day, so we needed something that could give us as much charge in as short of a time as possible (many of our stops were 2-3 days). I would have preferred to keep the wheels on and wheeled it out when we needed it but it physically didn’t fit in the vehicle: it was impossible to close the trunk. As far as needing it we’ve been close a couple times, but we feel we can adequately plan around those. This does mean we have to charge to 100% a lot which we know isn’t good for the pack but until that 200kwh Tri-Motor CyberTruck shows up on the scene this is the best we can do.

After we return from our 13-day tour of interior B.C. we will remove the generator from the X never to return. My wife will be happy she has her cargo space back, that’s for sure. And for those that are wondering, the EU7000is has run 18 uneventful hours in the back of the X.