Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally some real data on 18 vs 19 inch tire/wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Improvement in braking not as good as I was hoping. Some tests on range would have been nice. Interestingly the reviewer reported that the ride on the 19 inch wheels was more comfortable.

I hope this can help those on the fence.

IMO the sport wheels/tires are way under rated. For $1,500 it’s a good deal.

It's tough to quantify how much of the performance gain is due to tire size and how much due to rubber compound difference. He states that there is a difference in the tread wear rating between the tires. It stands to reason that a tire rated for a shorter life is softer than one rated for a longer life. All things being equal, a soft compound will almost always perform better. It quite possible that they might have had exactly the same results putting these tires on the 18" rims.

Improvement in braking not as good as I was hoping. Some tests on range would have been nice. Interestingly the reviewer reported that the ride on the 19 inch wheels was more comfortable.

The video is worth watching if only to hear him chuckle at the start of the 0-60 test. :D

Reactions: dhrivnak

Without reading all the other responses, my comment would be, is it the Tires or the Wheels? Would the same tire on the 19" wheels give the same reported result on a 18" wheel. I thought he was comparing 18" to 19" wheels?? He isn't, he's comparing tires. So compare apples (Michelin) to apples (Michelin) not apples (Michelin) to oranges (Continental).

Reactions: gotoma8
I think the tires have more to do with the difference than the wheels (also, as the tests were done on different days, weather is another large variable).

Car & Driver did some testing a few years back on a Golf going from 15" all the way to 19" with the same tire on all five wheels (or as close as they could to it):

Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested

Acceleration and fuel economy got worse as the wheels grew in size (due to the extra weight). Skidpad numbers improved with the larger wheels and braking had minor improvements (although that could also be due to having 195s on the 15" wheels vs 235s on the 19").