TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

Financing through USAA

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Dogwhistle, May 16, 2018.

1. Dogwhistle

Dogwhistle Member

Oh, I know. But its worth it to me to keep all my banking under one house. As I get older I’m willing to pay for fewer complications! ;)

• Like x 1
  2. MrRandyB

MrRandyB Member

I picked up my 3 on 05/03. All I took was the dealer funding request. Signed and gave them the DFR and got my tour and left. Just got all the fedex paperwork yesterday. Was super easy.

• Like x 3
  3. TesLou22

TesLou22 Member

Ditto!

• Like x 1
  4. Reid

Reid Member

It's been almost 2.5 years now, but my Golf was financed with USAA @ 2%. Echo the other comments about not making too much of a hassle over a tiny difference in rates. I'm CIC- and they've been good to us.

• Like x 1
  5. Dogwhistle

Dogwhistle Member

Picked up my 3 yesterday, brought in the DFR with the loan amount pre-filled out. Paperwork was quick, he got to the loan part, saw I had a DFR, just took it and said thanks. That was it, no fax drama or anything. This was at the Devon, PA center.

• Like x 1
  6. Ksculp

Ksculp New Member

I’m in Texas, and love/will finance through USAA. Any and all tips on the process (timing, tips, what to avoid) would be helpful. Did you finance it all or put a down payment? Thank you in advance.

7. Firewired

Firewired Member

I use USAA since the mid 80’s. I have found them to no longer be competitive with most others. I have found PenFed, Randolph Brooks, and Alliant FCU auto have better rates. USAA also stopped GAP insurance last I checked. Not sure if they brought it back.

• Like x 1
  8. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

Another term for Total Loss Protection? If so then I have it on my loan with them.

• Like x 1
  9. Thunder7ga

Thunder7ga Member

What was the length of the loan?

10. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

Hi, just paid last week with USAA. Emailed ISA the DFR (you can download it as a pdf from USAA website). Couple days later Tesla’s finance department confirmed with USAA. Delivery scheduled for July 10. Seemed to be pretty easy.

11. Piney999

Piney999 Member

What rate are you guys getting from USAA? My last two cars, PenFed has been much better, but I haven't looked yet for the Model 3.

12. Piney999

Piney999 Member

Who did you switch to?

13. Ksculp

Ksculp New Member

Thank you!!!!

14. CarterStC

CarterStC Member

I'm picking up tomorrow. Got on a 3-way call with USAA and my ISA and they figured it out. Went from ISA requesting a check/wire-transfer today, to them saying they have a good relationship and the Funding Request will be sufficient at pick up. Hoping all goes smoothly.

• Like x 1
  15. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

USAA sent this after loan completed...

“The vehicle does not qualify for the USAA Total Loss Protection plan. Refer to your Total Loss Protection Terms and Conditions document. You were not charged due to a non-qualifying vehicle.”

16. Dogwhistle

Dogwhistle Member

USAA gave me Total Loss Protection for my Model 3. It was an additional $299 tacked on to the loan.

17. Piney999

Piney999 Member

Anyone willing to share what % rate they got with USAA?

18. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

Yes, originally I did that too. Then they sent the addendum with a note I hadn’t been charged.

19. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

They are all posted in tiers based on credit score.

20. Reid

Reid Member

Going through the Tesla/USAA gong show right now.
    Delivery was supposed to happen tomorrow AM so of course I get a call at 4:45pm confirming I have a check for them. Yeah, no..... that’s why I sent you the dealer funding request that you wouldn’t schedule an appointment without!
    My ISA dropped off the map once I sent that and we setup the appointment— no indication that I had to handle all the legwork myself.
    The woman who called today made sure to blame the fact that I wasn’t financing through them, as often as possible, and seemed sure that I must know how to fund an auto loan with no input from the seller.
    She insisted that ACH is the fastest; else wire transfer or check is slower, which of course I know is not true. (My bank confirmed ACH can take up to 72h so I have no idea how this will go).

Also, when we were rescheduling my appointment l said the only day I can commit to without confirming with my wife is next Thursday, and I was told they can’t hold a car for that long. Thanks for the flexibility!

Anyway, just got off the phone with USAA who insist plenty of members have had DFRs sent in by Tesla.

After a lengthy hold she wasn’t able to find any reason I couldn’t fill out the DFR and submit it myself on behalf of Tesla, but recommended against it lest it cause problems with the dealer if they’re not okay with me doing that. Well, I got news for ya, none of this pay-for-a-car-without-seeing-it stuff is a good idea!! :)

I have a 5:15 appt tomorrow for pickup and I’ll probably submit the DFR myself but I have zero confidence the money will actually arrive in time.