TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Financing through USAA

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Dogwhistle, May 16, 2018.

1. iamroy

iamroy Member

I was initially with USAA, but Bank of America gave me a better rate. In order to get the same rate with USAA, I would've had to use their dealer service. Tesla isn't on that list, so can't exactly do that.

2. molster

molster Member

did you SA ask you ahead of time for the DFR on their own? (I still have not be assigned an SA, and have been told that I may never be assigned one, and may go directly to a DM

3. DrtyJrze

DrtyJrze Member

I contacted them about my order last week. If you look on their site, 2.75% is the best advertised rate. But you have to buy through their car buying program (which Tesla doesn’t participate in).

I called and asked if they would honor the .5% reduction since Tesla isn’t part of their program and they said no. So the best you can get is 3.25%, with auto draft and excellent credit.

You can do better than that. Save the credit pull.

Or not, if you’re pressed to pay more.

4. SB32925

SB32925 Member

They didn’t ask. I went into the Tesla store to order my vehicle and the person that I dealt with became my SA and gave me all her contacts. So once I got the DFR in my email from USAA, I just forwarded it to her and she forwarded it to the delivery center.

5. RangerMac

RangerMac Member

I miss when USAA just gave you the money and you could go buy the car like paying cash. That was so easy.

6. CarterStC

CarterStC Member

The only issue I had with USAA was they claimed my credit rating was 1 point below the best rate when their own credit service had me at 820+. I doubt I'll bother with them again.

7. molster

molster Member

Yeah at the end of the day rate discussion is kinda pointless as it will be differnt for everyone.

Its really just about the pickup/how tesla and USAA handle this now, and if it has imrpoved at all (which it seems like it has not)

My concern is, I have no SA.. and if they are as rushed as everyone says they will be, I may not even hear from my DM until a day or two before, which will be to late to have this DFR handled correclty

8. Hoololly

Hoololly Member

Tesla/Chase gave me a much better rate than USAA (by 0.35%). Sine I've been a USAA member for ~ 26 years, I called and asked USAA if they cared to price match. Nope. So Tesla it is.

• Like x 1
  9. DrtyJrze

DrtyJrze Member

Not really. You were given three real and current examples of people with excellent credit getting better rates somewhere else.

You’re choosing to ignore the data and for whatever reason seem determined to pay more for USAA’s sub par loan products. If your mind was made up to stick with USAA I’m not sure why you asked for feedback.

It would be great for the community if you would come back and update us on the higher interest rate you’re going to take for your loyalty to USAA so others that make decisions based on facts have an opportunity to make a more informed decision.

10. molster

molster Member

my bump was about teslas process with USAA, not the rate, which I know is going to work for me, based on other metrics too ;)

-----

anyhow, I ended up emailing the store for something else, and have finally been assigned an SA. As no surprise, she has worked with many DRF forms from usaa, and is already starting the process! so looks like this should be easy

11. molster

molster Member

With the big uptake in people picking up their cars, anywhere here use it in the last 2 weeks?

I sent in the DFR form about 2-3 weeks ago, but havnt heard anything else, and pickup is in 3 days. Hoping there is nothign else I need to do once tesla has the DFR?

12. jpfive

jpfive Supporting Member

You probably already suspect this, but dealers that participate in, or honor, USAA's buying program pay a fee for that privilege, hence the lower rate they (USAA) can offer in that instance. Tesla would be foolish to share vehicle gross profit with a financing institution in that way. In my case, my family's store was a GM dealership. We couldn't afford to let any good prospect go someplace else over a finance company's finders fee. That's the reality of a buyer's market - which most dealers operate in. Tesla is enjoying a seller's market. But, nothing lasts forever...

• Like x 1
  13. DrtyJrze

DrtyJrze Member

Agree and totally understand.

But if USAA has 98% of the dealers covered and a customer directly asks for a rate match on one of the missing manufacturers, I think it’s good business for USAA in the long term to take the loss for the few exceptions and keep the business. Especially from someone who’s been around 20+ years.

It’s not like they are offering great deals in the first place. Their rates are flat out not competitive with even national banks, and the CU’s make USAA look like outright crooks. They have plenty of margin already built in. We’re talking about finance charges, which require zero actual work. It’s not like they’re out using physical resources and manually digging ditches for this money.

What also bothers me is that over the last decade or so it seems like USAA is blatantly taken advantage of the captive military/veteran audience they have. They seem to have bet on people just sticking with them out of loyalty, familiarity and, honestly, laziness. In my case loan was secured and I moved on. Just like I’ve already done with my mortgages and brokerage accounts.

• Like x 1
  14. jpfive

jpfive Supporting Member

Very true that...

15. KOAZ

KOAZ Member

(avoiding the rate convo - my rate was exactly the same USAA/Tesla) - But I handed in the DFR yesterday when I picked up my car at the service center, and that's all I had to do. Printed it from the website, brought it with me in hard copy and handed it over with my personal check for the balance and drove off in my car. Good luck!

• Like x 1
  16. molster

molster Member

perfect, thanks Koaz!

17. MSM Eric

MSM Eric Member

NAVY Federal still operates that way.