Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finished up my DIY Ceramic Coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time I’ve washed the car since the coating. Hydrophobicity is insane. Worth the time invested for sure.

1B0A039F-952D-41A5-90A2-EF3C914A4BB0.jpeg
D9B4B1F9-EEF1-4D36-A12B-831D7D3AFEA2.jpeg

Reactions: Ritz
Great! Since you applied the Ceramic Coat, does it help stop swirls on the clear for the area that didn’t have the Xpel?

I just got a Red Model 3 on Monday. Anything I use to wipe it down (Adams, Zaino) scratches it instantly.

Appreciate the insights on your experience.

So I should admit after my one step polishing the paint was about 95%. I still have some swirls but I think I needed a more aggressive pad to get out the rest and I just wasn’t interested in investing more time and effort when it’s not a show car by any means.

I can’t say I’ve noticed any new swirls but I’ve only washed it once since coating. I also 2 bucket wash, both with grit guards and use a high quality Korean microfiber wash pad from The Rag Company. I use air via an EGO 530CFM leaf blower to dry 99% of the car and follow it up with a Autofiber Dreadnought drying towel.

For between washing wipedowns I have a bunch of great plush towels from Adams and The Rag Company and have ordered Adams CS3 (as soon as amazon delivers it since they deemed it non essential)

• Informative
Reactions: 12ed5ive
So I should admit after my one step polishing the paint was about 95%. I still have some swirls but I think I needed a more aggressive pad to get out the rest and I just wasn’t interested in investing more time and effort when it’s not a show car by any means.

I can’t say I’ve noticed any new swirls but I’ve only washed it once since coating. I also 2 bucket wash, both with grit guards and use a high quality Korean microfiber wash pad from The Rag Company. I use air via an EGO 530CFM leaf blower to dry 99% of the car and follow it up with a Autofiber Dreadnought drying towel.

For between washing wipedowns I have a bunch of great plush towels from Adams and The Rag Company and have ordered Adams CS3 (as soon as amazon delivers it since they deemed it non essential)

I just received a shipment from Rag Company and also ordered CS3 with a Foam Cannon. Thanks for sharing.

Most of the best detailers can get it only that far. You probably have 2 or 3 spots that are just a little deep for the R.O.P. alone. Some 2000 wet/ dry sand paper is in order for these difficult scratches. Take a little at a time and don't hurry. Adam has a tutorial on this process as well.
Like you, I didn't see taking it that far. In Adam's video, he uses a Bentley... Obviously not a daily driver.
I did use this process on my wife's Bolt. There was a 4" scratch on the hood that drove me nuts and wouldn't polish out and now looks great.
Again, bitchin job and really nice documenting it.
K3

Reactions: SK360