Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ceramic coating or transparent car wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I've bought a used, white, 4 years old Tesla Model X. (2019 raven)

I'm thinking about making a ceramic coating. What are the advantages / disadvantages? What's the best for protecting the original painting? Ceramic coating, or a simple transparent car wrap - self healing coat?

Is it much easier to clean a car with ceramic coating (high pressure water is enough? Or i need a towel and wash the car?)? I heard that before ceramic coating the whole car must be polished - this is bad for the thin original painting?

What do u suggest?

I'm thinking about making a ceramic coating. What are the advantages / disadvantages? What's the best for protecting the original painting? Ceramic coating, or a simple transparent car wrap - self healing coat?

Is it much easier to clean a car with ceramic coating (high pressure water is enough? Or i need a towel and wash the car?)? I heard that before ceramic coating the whole car must be polished - this is bad for the thin original painting?

What do u suggest?
Many people do both. Clear (or not) PPF, followed by a ceramic coating on top.
I did three: Yellow vinyl wrap, clear PPF (full frontal) and finally ceramic coating entire vehicle. It was a little spendy, about $9,000.

There is a surface prep step that must be done first. The surface must be exceptionally clean. I’m not sure about the merits of adding PPF on a four year old vehicle. The PPF shop should be able to tell you what to expect.

What do u suggest?
A little bit of info about both: PPF or Ceramic Coating

The answer is YES. At a minimum, I would do what they call a partial front and a 7-year ceramic. I did the Ultimate Armor on my vehicle, and it is basically clear film over all the fenders, hood, bumper, door cups, and mirrors with a lifetime ceramic everywhere else. The key is finding a really good dealer near you. There are like 2-3 brands I would trust

I go with ppf bra and mirrors with ceramic all over.
A used car will definitely need paint correction first, then ceramic coating and you can have an MX that looks better than new.
Personally, I would not ever do or get a ceramic coating without a paint correction. Vehicles go through he** before they ever get to us: trucks, trains, inexperienced 'detailers' prepping vehicles for delivery. Even if your paint looks good to you, your professional detailer is going to see things when they get it in the light.

Think of it as surface prep. Before any film or coating goes on your vehicle, it should be washed, chemically decontaminated., a fallout remover used, clay barred, and at minimum a 1-step paint correction. Like priming before painting, grinding before putting down an epoxy, the little things make a huge difference in the final outcome

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
The answer is YES. At a minimum, I would do what they call a partial front and a 7-year ceramic. I did the Ultimate Armor on my vehicle, and it is basically clear film over all the fenders, hood, bumper, door cups, and mirrors with a lifetime ceramic everywhere else. The key is finding a really good dealer near you. There are like 2-3 brands I would trust
Exactly what I did on the 2017 MX when it was new. Still looks new to this day.

• Helpful
Reactions: T-Mom

Pros of ceramic, your wallet will be much lighter.
Cons it doesn't actually protect from the environment: hard water, bird *sugar*, etc

What do u suggest?

If you want to protect your paint, get paint protection film.

• Disagree
Reactions: T-Mom