Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firearm storage model 3 [and other firearms discussion]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not pretty but I cut a 1” square hole out of the front of a sliding console tray for model y. And I also removed the plastic dividers to make room for my Pistole.

Attachments

• E656DEB7-33EF-4F56-B8BF-A2512EEAE7F8.jpeg
    E656DEB7-33EF-4F56-B8BF-A2512EEAE7F8.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 168
  • EDDB6251-0F2C-4659-803A-C59B43943528.jpeg
    EDDB6251-0F2C-4659-803A-C59B43943528.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 116
There is plenty of room to do a hole in the top of the box but that creates a weak point where they can put a tool to pry. I would look for one of those thin flat cables and squeeze it between the existing wall and safe.

Or if you're handy, you can cut a notch in the back section and weld on a new covering that can encompass the usb outlet. Then use a 90 degree usb cable to drop into the safe.

Something to be aware of, watch for people who may have seen you put something in the frunk when you are on your way back to the car. If they suspect it was something of value, they may be waiting for you.
I was just about to buy this vault when i re-read the law and I'm not sure it constitues as a legal storage device in Califorina.

As used in this part, “locked container” means

a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, keylock, combination lock, or similar locking device.

Since utility compartments specifinally do not count as a locked containers, and this gun vault is not fully enclosed (it comes enclosed when you bolt it to the car, but that using the "cough" utility compartment, which does not count.
I think I might just get something secured by a cable and throw a towel over it so it will be hidden from view.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.

so my understanding is that the vault is not fully enclosed until it becomes mounted in which case it uses the utility compartment to become fully enclosed, and the utility compartment does not count, so the vault is probably not legal in California because it's basically just adding a better lock to the utility compartment as it is not it's own fully enclosed container.

I was just about to buy this vault when i re-read the law and I'm not sure it constitues as a legal storage device in Califorina.

Since utility compartments specifinally do not count as a locked containers, and this gun vault is not fully enclosed (it comes enclosed when you bolt it to the car, but that using the "cough" utility compartment, which does not count.
I think I might just get something secured by a cable and throw a towel over it so it will be hidden from view.

so my understanding is that the vault is not fully enclosed until it becomes mounted in which case it uses the utility compartment to become fully enclosed, and the utility compartment does not count, so the vault is probably not legal in California because it's basically just adding a better lock to the utility compartment as it is not it's own fully enclosed container.
Get a CCW permit. It’ll solve a lot of your problems, while creating new ones. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.