Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When FSD for 2024 Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.

I traded in my 2018 Model 3 for a 2024 Model 3 because I wanted to take advantage of the 'free' FSD transfer.
So I picked up my 2024 Mod 3 on March 14. It's a fantastic car but... NO FSD. The autopilot screen has a grayed-out box for FSD and a text stating that FSD will be loaded with a future software update.
As expected, the Tesla support was as clueless and unhelpful as always and spent a lot of talent and effort to discourage me from ever calling them again - because they were so busy... discouraging other customers from ever calling them again.
So, can anyone help clarify what's going on? My questions, specifically are:
  • are ALL 2024 Model 3 lacking FSD at this time?
  • if the above is true, does anyone know WHEN FSD is coming to the 2024 Model 3?
Car just received a software update today 2024.2.13 but no FSD in it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reactions: Electricfan
Hi all.

I traded in my 2018 Model 3 for a 2024 Model 3 because I wanted to take advantage of the 'free' FSD transfer.
So I picked up my 2024 Mod 3 on March 14. It's a fantastic car but... NO FSD. The autopilot screen has a grayed-out box for FSD and a text stating that FSD will be loaded with a future software update.
As expected, the Tesla support was as clueless and unhelpful as always and spent a lot of talent and effort to discourage me from ever calling them again - because they were so busy... discouraging other customers from ever calling them again.
  • if the above is true, does anyone know WHEN FSD is coming to the 2024 Model 3?

1- yes
2- 🤷‍♂️

I took delivery of my 2024 Model 3 on March 17. A couple weeks before Elon dumped free FSD on every car "capable of FSD" I purchased a subscription for it to try it out. I didn't get it. My car shows exactly what yours does! "Will be available in future software update". So, be glad you at least didn't get swindled out of $200.00 !!!!

I believe the posts above about the car not having ultrasonic sensors are spot on. That's our problem.

When I was talking to Tesla about buying a new 2024 Model 3 they were clear that the car didn't have "summon" and other features right now because they were switching to Tesla Vision. But I didn't put that together with "No FSD". And the salesman I spoke with in person at the showroom actually told me I could subscribe and get it.

Long story short, we 2024 owners are screwed for now. My question is, what if they can't get it working without the ultrasonic sensors???

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Biker
I took delivery of my 2024 Model 3 on March 17. A couple weeks before Elon dumped free FSD on every car "capable of FSD" I purchased a subscription for it to try it out. I didn't get it. My car shows exactly what yours does! "Will be available in future software update". So, be glad you at least didn't get swindled out of $200.00 !!!!

I believe the posts above about the car not having ultrasonic sensors are spot on. That's our problem.

When I was talking to Tesla about buying a new 2024 Model 3 they were clear that the car didn't have "summon" and other features right now because they were switching to Tesla Vision. But I didn't put that together with "No FSD". And the salesman I spoke with in person at the showroom actually told me I could subscribe and get it.

Long story short, we 2024 owners are screwed for now. My question is, what if they can't get it working without the ultrasonic sensors???

I took delivery on March 23 and FSD transfer was instantaneous upon payment for the car. I was told vaguely by he DA that there would be a delay for FSD to boot up. I thought a couple of days or so. It wasn’t until I saw the comments on this forum that there was a delay in FSD becoming functional on all Model 3 Highlands. Other than the reasons stated on this forum, has there been an official published reason for the delay from Tesla? Or when we can expect FSD to be functional on all FSD capable Highlands?

Hi all.

On the software page, you should see the services that the car has license to.

But for the transfer, I believe that you actively had to go through some steps, it wasn't just a passive transfer. Do you do this? And FSD transfer isn't a given, which program were you expecting to do it?

In same boat as you since picking it up couple weeks ago. And Tesla sales/support trying their best to downplay it.
But:

Tesla in this case is at best being deceitful.
After waiting a long time for my 2019 to get some sort of FSD, now put back in the starters box. I say we should all be given a working loaner until it's out.
I wouldn't have sold my 2019 otherwise.

Hi all.

just got it today.

Just installed on new 2024 model 3. Took delivery on 4/6.
IMG_5988.png

Yup. I had some experience with it three years ago when I borrowed my son's Y to go on a five day vacation. That was when the subscription service just started. I paid for a month to try it out. After spending come time with it my opinion has not changed. It is awesome on the interstates but just sucks on urban and suburban surface streets. If you spent $12,000 USD for it, I think you need to have your head examined.

The enhanced Autopilot has all the best features of FSD. At least for interstate highway driving and navigation. I think it also does summon. I If could "rent" it for $100 [er month I would do that for every extended road trip.

Got trial FSD today and used it for my work commute. It was great. But not "finished" by any means. I took over at busy intersections and one transfer between highways. It wanted to go around a traffic jam but it would never have been able to get back in the exit lane - how are they going to "teach" that?? But for the most part I was very impressed. Especially parking - I'd literally never let my Tesla park before. It now works fairly well. Not quite as good as a human but very close. I have high hopes for what it will be like this time next year. I very well might pay the 12k to keep it forever.