Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First automatic wiper review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 40.2.1 and just drove through my first typical Seattle rainstorm at night (on this release). I'm sorry to report that the 'auto' setting still sucks. The wipers come on way too late, and even in constant rain would not cycle more than once every 1.5 seconds. At night they are dangerous. (I was never a big fan of the auto wipers on my 12 year old BMW, but they did work better than the Tesla, and it was very easy to shift them to full speed without taking your hands - and eyes - off the wheel to hunt for that little gray oval with 3 little dots).

The Tesla camera sees just a very tiny section of the windshield, maybe a square inch or two -- it's hard to believe you could ever train anything to make reasonable decisions on whether to cycle the wipers. I don't think I could make a wiper decision looking out through just a square inch of windshield, so I wouldn't expect the Tesla to either.

I have driven the 299 on AP about six times and the car slows for the curves, of course I never drive faster than 55 in order to ensure I make it all the way from Redding to the coast. But I don’t use AP 100% of the time because I just get tired of not driving. I have not driven it since the most recent software update, I don’t think I would like the ping pong game.

Posted in wrong thread, apologies.

I have driven the 299 on AP about six times and the car slows for the curves, of course I never drive faster than 55 in order to ensure I make it all the way from Redding to the coast. But I don’t use AP 100% of the time because I just get tired of not driving. I have not driven it since the most recent software update, I don’t think I would like the ping pong game.