Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Contact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We received our 1st email from Tesla saying our M3 would be delivered soon! The email asked that I verify the information on my account page so they could start all of the paperwork. We still do not have a VIN assigned.
Invited 4/6 but did not order until 5/3 due to planning the original 3 - 6 week delivery estimate around our vacation.

Now the sleepless nights begin waiting for more information and preparing for our delivery.

I wouldn't be too anxious as I think that first contact means that basically your car has begun production. I think you're still a month away from that initial email. At least that's what I been seeing. I got first contact on 6/18 ordered on 4/27 they gave me a pro-forma purchase agreement with a VIN on it but said that delivery was still second week of July for me and that I needed to have payment settled by July 10th.

I wouldn't be too anxious as I think that first contact means that basically your car has begun production. I think you're still a month away from that initial email. At least that's what I been seeing. I got first contact on 6/18 ordered on 4/27 they gave me a pro-forma purchase agreement with a VIN on it but said that delivery was still second week of July for me and that I needed to have payment settled by July 10th.

I think it really all depends on where you're located and if your state has a Tesla Service center. I feel like they tend to get contacted right away since the cars need to be paid for before entering the state. My Edit Button disapeared 2 weeks ago but still have not have had contact ( 4/18 invite, 4/20 configure ).

When I called Customer Service a week ago I was told I did have a VIN and that an ISA would contact me ( still waiting ). From what I have heard the cars were shipped to hubs on the east coast. From other posts on the forums, once they reach the hub their delivery is like 2 weeks.

I think it really all depends on where you're located and if your state has a Tesla Service center. I feel like they tend to get contacted right away since the cars need to be paid for before entering the state. My Edit Button disapeared 2 weeks ago but still have not have had contact ( 4/18 invite, 4/20 configure ).

When I called Customer Service a week ago I was told I did have a VIN and that an ISA would contact me ( still waiting ). From what I have heard the cars were shipped to hubs on the east coast. From other posts on the forums, once they reach the hub their delivery is like 2 weeks.

Might be some truth to that. Texan here, dont know if this helps:
Invite 4/6
Configured 4/24
Edit disappeared late Friday 6/15
Contacted and paid late Monday 6/18
Delivery already scheduled for 7/3, or maybe earlier if things go well according to ISA (SC closed 7/1 and 7/2 though)

Dont know if that means its already on the truck/train now or will be soon. But Texans' vehicles dont get shipped until all is paid. So if there are no delays, almost exactly 14 days to ship and prep at SC. Seems like east cost should not add that many more days. Your SC might be more busy though, which could add time.

The reply email I received today seems to imply that it is built or near completion. Even if it isn't built, assuming +3500/wk and with being contacted to verify our information, I'm assuming it would be built by the end of the week. The reply email said probably mid-July delivery, but our MS was delivered 2 weeks earlier than the estimate. At least we now have our VIN but it still doesn't show on my account page.
I also found out that the priority is based on having all of your paperwork completed. I have one last item to complete and then they should be able to schedule our transport & firm up our delivery date.