Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else with issues paying for car reservation with ApplePay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody else had issues paying for their vehicle registration using Apple Pay? As a current Model 3 owner, I recently placed an online reservation for a Model Y on my MacBook. I was already logged in under my Tesla account and even entered the same contact information in my order. When it came time to place my reservation, I was given the choice on TESLA's WEBPAGE to pay by entering a credit card or Apple Pay. Rather than grab my wallet and enter the numbers, I opted for Apple Pay ...

Easy pie ... or so I thought. In an apparent glitch in the system, my Tesla account information was replaced with my Apple Pay account information, a separate email address. This would eliminate my 10,000-credit loyalty bonus. I spoke with Tesla customer service and was informed to send an email to change the address on my order, along with a copy of my license ... no response. Given that we are up against the end of the $7,500 tax credit for the Model Y Long Range, I reached out again to Tesla customer service and explained my situation. I was informed that the best course of action would be to place a new order under my Tesla account by ENTERING THE CREDIT CARD MANUALLY and then my reserved car could be swapped over to the new order number. It would potentially cost me the reservation fee of $250 but given the choice of not getting the car before December 31st, in which case, I would not buy it.

I went ahead and placed the second order, the VIN was transferred, and I picked up my car this past week. I was told that I should bring up the Apple Pay issue with Apple because there was nothing Tesla could do about it. I find that totally unacceptable, however, I do not have a surplus of time nor patience to go down that rabbit hole with likely little chance of success.

Flash forward to Friday and I get a call from Tesla to come pick up my Model Y from my original screwed up order (at full sticker price without loyalty benefits). I recapped the issue I had, and the service agent indicated that Tesla has had a lot of difficulties with Apple Pay and that they recommend paying by credit card. I politely responded that there is no warning of that on their website, and if it is truly a problem, they should remove the option. The agent was polite and said he would try and move it up for further review, but I wouldn't hear anything until the new year due to the end-of-quarter madness. I understand that and will wait to see how this works out.

The point of my post is less of a rant than it is a warning to those placing a reservation in which their Tesla account email differs from their Apple Pay account email. You may run into similar issues as me. At best, things will get fixed with some phone calls and time (the latter I didn't have). It is, however, possible that you may be out $250 like I am at this point. My wife does enjoy her new car tremendously; however, this has been a disappointment in what otherwise has been a good experience with Tesla on both vehicles I purchased in the last 6 months.

I'm interested to see if others have had a similar experience or some other issue that was not resolved through the first two levels of Tesla customer service but ultimately was or was not resolved satisfactorily after going even further up the line. Happy New Year!

I'm interested to see if others have had a similar experience

I have seen other people post about this issue. The specific issue is that apple pay generally hides your information from the merchant, by design. Tesla should just not accept applepay, since I dont think there is any way around this on their end as applepay is by design trying to obscure purchaser data.

The issue isn't Apple Pay but the way that companies implement it. Tesla has a choice to replace already entered information on your account with your ApplePay email address (billing information is hidden) - they should not have done that. An option to consider is to just dispute the $250 charge. You have solid proof that you paid the charge already and took delivery - credit card companies most often side with the consumer and it's very difficult for a merchant to challenge these disputes successfully.

The issue isn't Apple Pay but the way that companies implement it. Tesla has a choice to replace already entered information on your account with your ApplePay email address (billing information is hidden) - they should not have done that. An option to consider is to just dispute the $250 charge. You have solid proof that you paid the charge already and took delivery - credit card companies most often side with the consumer and it's very difficult for a merchant to challenge these disputes successfully.
Thanks, I will give that a try after the holiday when I get a human on the phone and report back.

Has anybody else had issues paying for their vehicle registration using Apple Pay? As a current Model 3 owner, I recently placed an online reservation for a Model Y on my MacBook. I was already logged in under my Tesla account and even entered the same contact information in my order. When it came time to place my reservation, I was given the choice on TESLA's WEBPAGE to pay by entering a credit card or Apple Pay. Rather than grab my wallet and enter the numbers, I opted for Apple Pay ...

Easy pie ... or so I thought. In an apparent glitch in the system, my Tesla account information was replaced with my Apple Pay account information, a separate email address. This would eliminate my 10,000-credit loyalty bonus. I spoke with Tesla customer service and was informed to send an email to change the address on my order, along with a copy of my license ... no response. Given that we are up against the end of the $7,500 tax credit for the Model Y Long Range, I reached out again to Tesla customer service and explained my situation. I was informed that the best course of action would be to place a new order under my Tesla account by ENTERING THE CREDIT CARD MANUALLY and then my reserved car could be swapped over to the new order number. It would potentially cost me the reservation fee of $250 but given the choice of not getting the car before December 31st, in which case, I would not buy it.

I went ahead and placed the second order, the VIN was transferred, and I picked up my car this past week. I was told that I should bring up the Apple Pay issue with Apple because there was nothing Tesla could do about it. I find that totally unacceptable, however, I do not have a surplus of time nor patience to go down that rabbit hole with likely little chance of success.

Flash forward to Friday and I get a call from Tesla to come pick up my Model Y from my original screwed up order (at full sticker price without loyalty benefits). I recapped the issue I had, and the service agent indicated that Tesla has had a lot of difficulties with Apple Pay and that they recommend paying by credit card. I politely responded that there is no warning of that on their website, and if it is truly a problem, they should remove the option. The agent was polite and said he would try and move it up for further review, but I wouldn't hear anything until the new year due to the end-of-quarter madness. I understand that and will wait to see how this works out.

The point of my post is less of a rant than it is a warning to those placing a reservation in which their Tesla account email differs from their Apple Pay account email. You may run into similar issues as me. At best, things will get fixed with some phone calls and time (the latter I didn't have). It is, however, possible that you may be out $250 like I am at this point. My wife does enjoy her new car tremendously; however, this has been a disappointment in what otherwise has been a good experience with Tesla on both vehicles I purchased in the last 6 months.

I'm interested to see if others have had a similar experience or some other issue that was not resolved through the first two levels of Tesla customer service but ultimately was or was not resolved satisfactorily after going even further up the line. Happy New Year!
Similar post here. Tesla should not be offering Apple Pay an option to pay.

I paid the order fee using Apple Pay for a order 2 days ago for Highland.

Is that going to be a problem for me?
Only if you have an existing Tesla account- meaning this is a replacement or additional vehicle AND f your Apple email is different from the one you have on your existing Tesla account.

And even if so, it’s not really a big deal- you have to call them, send a picture of your drivers license and it takes a few days to merge the accounts. Just added hassles.

A

I paid the order fee using Apple Pay for a order 2 days ago for Highland.

Is that going to be a problem for me?
Only if you have an existing Tesla account- meaning this is a replacement or additional vehicle AND your Apple email is different from the one you have on your existing Tesla account.

And even if so, it’s not really a big deal- you have to call them, send a picture of your drivers license and it takes a few days to merge the accounts.

Only if you have an existing Tesla account- meaning this is a replacement or additional vehicle AND your Apple email is different from the one you have on your existing Tesla account.

And even if so, it’s not really a big deal- you have to call them, send a picture of your drivers license and it takes a few days to merge the accounts.

Right or wrong, I was told by Tesla that I would lose my loyalty bonus if I switched the account.

Anyhow, I lucked out and got my $250 refunded. To switch my Model Y VIN to my Tesla account, Tesla had me place a new custom order for the same vehicle and they then swapped the cars between accounts. I tried to get the refund but that went nowhere. I got lucky in that I ordered the silver metallic which was subsequently eliminated in favor of the new gray. Tesla sent me an email to reconfigure my order, or it would be cancelled, and all monies would be refunded. I had to wait about a week and then the order cancelled, and I got my money back. Better to be lucky than good, I guess ...