Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First impression

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I arranged a test drive at the KC service center of the MY. Very disappointed. Love the tech but way to many negatives. At 71 my wife and I are looking for a replacement that is comfortable with lots if safety devices. We both found the seats uncomfortable, lots of road noise, rear view mirrors to small. Fit issues on body panels. When you consider the price we didn’t feel the value was there. Since I really like the tech side I suggested we drive the MS. We both agreed it was A day and night comparison. Very comfortable seats, much quieter seemed like a better quality build. But as soon as we started talking about price we realized that there are a lot of cars at this higher end that meet our needs and surprisingly include many of the advanced safety features that the Tesla’s offer. I am a Tesla fan and stock holder but we will continue to look and compare. Maybe we should check out the M3?

Since I really like the tech side I suggested we drive the MS. We both agreed it was A day and night comparison. Very comfortable seats, much quieter seemed like a better quality build. But as soon as we started talking about price we realized that there are a lot of cars at this higher end that meet our needs and surprisingly include many of the advanced safety features that the Tesla’s offer.
But are those other cars electric?

Gotta do what makes you happy. Given your comments on the Y, I doubt the 3 would please you - the seats are the same, as is most of the rest of the experience except closer to the ground (potentially harder to get in/out with stiff joints.)

Might be worth looking at the X.

The big reason to choose Tesla over others is the potential for the car to drive you after you can’t, but that’s not guaranteed to happen in the right time frame.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
As in Tesla Model 3 or BMW M3? Both have stiffer rides than the Y, with the BMW being substantially stiffer of the two even in comfort mode, at least for the current production model - I’ve not driven the new one yet.

Out of curiosity, what did you drive before and which Y did you test drive?
Ah yes good question. I believe it was the long range version. Wife’s been driving Lexus LS for 20 yrs. I am all over the place Lexus GX, 911 turbo, Denali.

I have the M3, but have ridden several times in the S. With all the seat adjustments, I'd hope you could find a more comfortable seating position. I'm within your general age range, and I set my seat to an entry/exit position then another for driving. In any case, I hope you find what meets your needs. I hope it's a Tesla though :D