Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First long trip on first EV. Few issues to report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And that is exactly why, when planning a trip using ABetterRoutePlanner, I always make sure I check the "Avoid Rural Australia " box along with toll roads and ferries.;)

what i am trying to tell you is that the driving computer is very/good accurate and can usually be relied on. nevermind that with the model 3 you have a 4.5% buffer and usually the computer underreads the true SOC by around 2% on a full discharge. i.e. if you drive from 100% to 3% you actually go up to 5-6% when stopping.

Really? Of all the hills to die on, it’s big government making you use DRLs? You do you I guess. I’ll continue to run my lights during the day and it might save my life.

idiots applying evidence based practice wrongly. The few days earlier you have to replace your bulb coz you kept your lights on while driving during daytime is nothing compared to the accident it might prevent. I find it really helpful when cars drive with their headlights on, makes it easier to see when cars pop up behind me driving fast on the autobahn, trying to overtake etc and also helps with cars coming from the front on the australian single lane highways (or around corners).

DRL are good enough though if the car has those than lights arent really required.

Reactions: MrTuna and Ciaopec
what i am trying to tell you is that the driving computer is very/good accurate and can usually be relied on. nevermind that with the model 3 you have a 4.5% buffer and usually the computer underreads the true SOC by around 2% on a full discharge. i.e. if you drive from 100% to 3% you actually go up to 5-6% when stopping.

@Candleflame :Meant to be a tongue-in-cheek joke. While I don't have a M3, I feel comfortable with the calculations in my MS and if forced to do so (in rural Australia, perhaps) I would take it to 3%. However, I prefer to keep it above 10% (right or wrong based on comments here over the years) and under 90% whenever possible.

Really? Of all the hills to die on, it’s big government making you use DRLs? You do you I guess. I’ll continue to run my lights during the day and it might save my life.

My model 3 has PUP with DRL's; I leave headlights set on Auto. I'm just not naive enuf to think that they help improve safety in the bright Southern California sunshine.

OTOH, DRL's are an inexpensive addition to a car. If NHTSA thought that they'd reduce accidents/save lives, it wouldn't cost manufacturers much for the feds to mandate them.

Last edited: