Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First longish trip in the Model 3!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy Teslarati!

This weekend I took my first couple hundred mile trip in the Tesla P3D-.

As-expected, the car is so easy to drive. Even without EAP, the car is a joy to pilot. I don't have FSD but I thought I had basic autopilot? Is this only TACC perhaps? I've never used CC in this car but I suppose I should soon. I tapped down on the signal stalk twice and the car told me that AP wasn't available. I guess I was being optimistic. :D

In any case, the car is so quiet and smooth. Long-Range look and suspension, but Performance motors were a joy when it came to on-ramps, overtaking, etc. Demoralizing tailgaters is fun too. :D

The car turns like its on rails. Super confidence-inspiring. I had lots of range left over when I got to my destination and the best thing is that the destination had a Tesla Wall Connector there! 48a of 45mph goodness. So much better than my 5mph trickle charging at home (for now).

So far so good!

Howdy Teslarati!

This weekend I took my first couple hundred mile trip in the Tesla P3D-.

As-expected, the car is so easy to drive. Even without EAP, the car is a joy to pilot. I don't have FSD but I thought I had basic autopilot? Is this only TACC perhaps? I've never used CC in this car but I suppose I should soon. I tapped down on the signal stalk twice and the car told me that AP wasn't available. I guess I was being optimistic. :D

In any case, the car is so quiet and smooth. Long-Range look and suspension, but Performance motors were a joy when it came to on-ramps, overtaking, etc. Demoralizing tailgaters is fun too. :D

The car turns like its on rails. Super confidence-inspiring. I had lots of range left over when I got to my destination and the best thing is that the destination had a Tesla Wall Connector there! 48a of 45mph goodness. So much better than my 5mph trickle charging at home (for now).

So far so good!

As long as the car was made after april 2019, it should have TACC (which is also called AP), so you should have AP. Regular AP doesnt change lanes, but is cruise control. Might have been where you were when you tried to activate it.

As long as the car was made after april 2019, it should have TACC (which is also called AP), so you should have AP. Regular AP doesnt change lanes, but is cruise control. Might have been where you were when you tried to activate it.

If I activate AP, isn't it supposed to maintain my speed and stay in the lane on its own? I need to read up more on this, clearly. Thanks!

Reactions: ElectricIAC
If I activate AP, isn't it supposed to maintain my speed and stay in the lane on its own? I need to read up more on this, clearly. Thanks!
What build date is it, if it’s newer then April 2019 you do have Auto Pilot, sometimes you can not activate Auto Pilot due to the road conditions, no lines on the ground etc. there’s a Grey steering wheel icon on the very left side of the screen. When you see that, you can activate Auto Pilot, make sure that Auto Steer is also turned on in the Auto Pilot section of the sceen.

And yes, you will be able to let the car drive and take turns as it follows the road as long as you keep a little pressure on the wheel.

Fred

• Informative
What build date is it, if it’s newer then April 2019 you do have Auto Pilot, sometimes you can not activate Auto Pilot due to the road conditions, no lines on the ground etc. there’s a Grey steering wheel icon on the very left side of the screen. When you see that, you can activate Auto Pilot, make sure that Auto Steer is also turned on in the Auto Pilot section of the sceen.

And yes, you will be able to let the car drive and take turns as it follows the road as long as you keep a little pressure on the wheel.

Fred

Hi Fred,

Thanks for expanding on this. Car was manufactured in June of 2020 in Fremont, CA.

Last edited:
Hi Fred,

Thanks for expanding on this. Yeah the car is a 2020 and I just took delivery. How does one find one's build date? VIN lookup?

the build month is on the drivers door jamb, but if its a 2020 then it comes with AP. if you want the actual date, you have to contact tesla for a "born on" date. For what you are asking about, though, the build month is fine.

the build month is on the drivers door jamb, but if its a 2020 then it comes with AP. if you want the actual date, you have to contact tesla for a "born on" date. For what you are asking about, though, the build month is fine.

I looked up my VIN and found the window sticker. My car was made in June of 2020. So, I guess I have AP (which is what I thought) but I've not used it yet.

I looked up my VIN and found the window sticker. My car was made in June of 2020. So, I guess I have AP (which is what I thought) but I've not used it yet.
I took a quick 196 mile trip to Yermo, Ca. to test my A/C on the model Y after they did repairs on the A/C system, so I needed to hit temperature of over 100 degrees to make sure it worked and it did, anyways 90% of that 400 mile round trip was on Auto Pilot since it was all freeway. With AP when you change lanes you will have to disengage AP to move over and then re-engage AP again.

Every 45 to 50 seconds you get a blue flash warning on the screen telling you to put your hands back on the steering wheel followed by a few beeps, if you ignore this warning a large red Steering wheel icon will appear telling you to take control. Once this happens you won’t be able to use Auto Pilot. You will need to pull over and put the car in Park for a few seconds and this resets it. Then you will have AP again.

Enjoy it tomorrow, you will have fun, restrain from using it on City streets.

Fred

• Informative
Reactions: Spacep0d
Every 45 to 50 seconds you get a blue flash warning on the screen telling you to put your hands back on the steering wheel followed by a few beeps, if you ignore this warning a large red Steering wheel icon will appear telling you to take control. Once this happens you won’t be able to use Auto Pilot. You will need to pull over and put the car in Park for a few seconds and this resets it. Then you will have AP again.

has this changed recently? i think you have to ignore it 3 times in a single drive to be put in AP jail...it doesn't lock you out after just once.

Unless of course your service center somehow breaks your AP nag after replacing suspension parts. Lol.

has this changed recently? i think you have to ignore it 3 times in a single drive to be put in AP jail...it doesn't lock you out after just once.
I think it beeped on me only twice and it wasn’t consecutively, but you might be right, I thought that I didn’t hear the beeps and it locked me out. I can run a test tomorrow and see how many times of Beeping it will take me to lock me out.

With the Blue warning it doesn’t lock you out, I’ve had many of those, but when it starts to beep, I hink that’s when it locks you out.

Fred

Ouch! That Nag keeps me busy as heck, without it, I’d sleeping!!!

Fred
I don’t mind it much TBH. As it so happens I instinctively keep a hand on the wheel regardless but nice to know the (dis)function is there. I’ve had a weird creak coming from the front end as of late so I’m sure it won’t be long before it goes back in again and probably “fixed” again.

Doesn’t say how many times:

F923E982-4A2A-4ABC-BFE9-D0EA6465831F.jpeg

I don’t mind it much TBH. As it so happens I instinctively keep a hand on the wheel regardless but nice to know the (dis)function is there. I’ve had a weird creak coming from the front end as of late so I’m sure it won’t be long before it goes back in again and probably “fixed” again.
That weird creak, Upper Control arm and upper ball joint.

Fred

I think it beeped on me only twice and it wasn’t consecutively, but you might be right, I thought that I didn’t hear the beeps and it locked me out. I can run a test tomorrow and see how many times of Beeping it will take me to lock me out.

With the Blue warning it doesn’t lock you out, I’ve had many of those, but when it starts to beep, I hink that’s when it locks you out.

Fred

yeah agree 100% that the blue warning doesn't do it, but it's definitely not just one red warning that locks you out either...at least that hasn't been my experience. that's why i asked if it has changed recently. i wonder if there's some sort of algorithm it goes through to decide when to lock you out (i.e. maybe it isn't the same every time)...

• Informative
yeah agree 100% that the blue warning doesn't do it, but it's definitely not just one red warning that locks you out either...at least that hasn't been my experience. that's why i asked if it has changed recently. i wonder if there's some sort of algorithm it goes through to decide when to lock you out (i.e. maybe it isn't the same every time)...
I believe it’s distance based since time seems to be variable.

Ok I just returned from the Auto Pilot Jail Test, I allowed the Auto Pilot to BEEP at me 3 times to take control of the wheel, in other words put a little force on the wheel or just turn up the button one click, well on the 3rd cycle of BEEPS, it gave me the Finger! No it was a Larger Red steering wheel and shutdown Auto Pilot. So 3 BEEP cycles and you’re out. I pulled over and went into Park mode, this reset the AP Jail mode and I was able to use Auto Pilot again.

So now you know.

Fred

• Informative
Reactions: Spacep0d