TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

First NRG eVgo Electric Car Fast Charging Station in Ventura County

Discussion in 'North America' started by ecarfan, Feb 25, 2014.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#1 ecarfan, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    Just read this press release Simon Unveils First NRG eVgo Electric Car Fast Charging Station in Ventura County - Bloomberg

Quote: "The new Freedom Station in Camarillo is part of a growing network of Freedom
    Station sites in California with 19 now open or under construction and
    features a 480-volt direct current (DC) fast charger that enables electric car
    drivers, who are shopping and visiting, to recharge their vehicles in 30
    minutes or less, as well as a traditional 240-volt alternating current (AC)
    charger that can charge virtually all electric vehicles."

I had not heard of eVgo before. So I searched and found this NRG's eVgo Fast-Charge Network Seeks to 'Revolutionize' EV Travel | PluginCars.com

After more searching found an article describing the type of charging plugs offered at an eVgo station as " the new SAE combination plug" and "also includes a CHAdeMO DC fast-charging connection and a J1772 Level 2 charger."

So actually this isn't that useful to me as a Model S owner since the J1772 charger rate is not very fast and I can't use the SAE or CHAdeMO plugs, but worth keeping in mind as an emergency option. Of course there aren't many eVgo stations available yet and it remains to be seen if the company can make a go of it. Here is a page on the NRG site that shows where there stations are Electric Vehicle Charging Stations | Find eVgo Electric Car Chargers

2. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

If eVgo could figure out a reliable and secure way to keep a Tesla to CHAdeMO adapter at each of their stations, they might have a nice built in market by filling in fast charging between Superchargers for the Tesla community, a nice population to serve.

3. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

According to discussion over here SAE vs CHAdeMO the Model S is pin compatible with SAE, so an adapter should be easier and less costly than the CHAdeMO adapter. At least, that's my intuition, but I'll defer to experts in this area.

4. reach

reach Member

#4 reach, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    There are already two existing Blink CHAdeMO DC Fast Charging Stations in Thousand Oaks, California only about 10 miles east of this new one installed in Camarillo. More important a 10 Bay Tesla Supercharger is being installed soon in Oxnard, California only about 10 miles west of this one being installed in Camarillo All three are within 25 miles of each other in a line off the 101 Freeway, all in Ventura County. The eVgo rates are high. The two Blink DC Fast CHAdeMO chargesr are only $5 per session (not per hour) on an introductory promotion, and the Tesla Supercharger in Oxnard will be free.

5. Blaze

Blaze Member

So, can I charge at these fast charging non-Tesla units with the S?

6. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

No, the fast-charge units are CHAdeMO, and Tesla hasn't released the CHAdeMO adapter yet.

7. gene

gene Active Member

NRG are also building another station at the Pacific View Mall in Ventura City!