Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am looking to take my first road trip for a guys weekend of golf, poker and just general debauchery. I wasn’t planning on driving but the person’s house were staying at is begging for me to bring the car as he has always wanted one. I would love to bring it so he can drive it since we will be staying at his house and drinking his booze ( he insists and won’t accpet anything in return). Problem is not sure if I can make it. I’ll be going from St. Louis to Heber Springs Arkansas. According to the trip planner I can go hit a super charger and go to 100% charge and have enough to make it. It’s 210 miles but I havent been getting the anywhere near the rated mileage. I chalked it up to me being over zealous with the fun factor however I have been trying to tone it down and still have problems getting anything below 280 watts. My normal highway commute is filled with rush hour stop and go so I haven’t had a chance to take it along long stretches of highway. I was wondering what people are seeing for normal highway driving and also will putting it in chill mode help my economy? Not sure if I feel comfortable being able to make the trip. The next issue would be getting a charge to get back to rolla as there is nothing close to heber springs. But I’ll worry about that next.

If you are having a challenge with exuberance driving, consider using Autopilot on your trip.

You will have a great learning experience, and should achieve efficient and relaxing transport.

Keep your speed below 75 MPH and enjoy the ride.

Charging to 100% takes more time at a Supercharger than stopping a couple times and just charging to 90% That last 10% goes pretty slowly.

Your Tesla will evaluate the most efficient route and charging options when you enter your destination into navigation.

You will want to have some reserve power when you get to your destination so you can give all your friends an enthusiastic demo.

I must be confused about the cities. Putting St. Louis and Heber Springs, AK into Google maps or evetripplanner shows about 320 miles distance.
The 200 miles I was quoting was from rolla to heber springs. I’ll have no problem getting to rolla which is where the super charger is. After rolla though there are no more super chargers. There is a destination charger near Heber springs but I would need to do a full charge off of it to get back and it is rated at 16kw so not sure how long that would take