Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning my first long trip with my model S 75D and have a question. I show a supercharger that is 211 miles away and my range shows 240. When I plug in the address I am going, Phoenix to San Diego, it shows me having to stop only 60 miles away for a charge before I have to stop again half way. Why would it not have me just go to the one that is 211 miles away?

I am guessing you are a new owner. This thread probably belongs to the battery & charging subforum.

Your rated/displayed range is not the real world range. Realistically, with 240 miles rated range, you can expect around 190 miles of real world range, depending on how you drive, weather, A/C usage etc. To get 240 miles you would pretty much have to be at around 280 Wh/mi which is pretty hard unless it’s all downhill or if you drive 45-50 mph and there is no head winds.

For example, my 85D shows 264 miles rated range. In reality, if I pushed it from 100% charge to 5%, I could squeeze out 220miles. So really I count on 200 miles of usable range with my car.

You can find more threads about this under the battery section.

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
It's beyond the car computer's 20ish% safety range. It is possibly even beyond your driving habits. The number that shows on the gauge is only a guess based upon the EPA numbers, your driving will not be the same.
While it indeed may be possible to go the route, you may end up getting the "You need to go below X MPH to get to your destination" messages.
Also, do you want to arrive on empty? Or would you like some driving around range?

As your first trip, maybe better safe than liberal. Learn the car, learn what your actual usage numbers look like from the energy graphs. I dare say, the numbers may not be as you expect.

Unless you want to go 50 mph the entire way and in that case you are probably perfectly safe.

Set the Supercharger that's 211 miles away as the destination and go drive it. You'll know well before 60 miles in whether you've got the range to get there in the current weather with your current driving style and the elevation changes.

If the estimate at arrival looks too ugly (below 10%, for me,) then you can stop at the 60 mile Supercharger.

If it looks adequate, you can drive the trip the way you wanted to. (Just don't drive the first part slowly/gently and suddenly speed up after you decided you can get there. The estimate takes your driving style into account.)

@Saghost is exactly correct.
I drive a 220 mile leg quite regularly in a 100% charged S75 (237 miles). I am used to it and arrive with about 5 percent remaining. This was nerve racking the first time and 5 percent is remaining is probably not recommended for planning by most people. My point is it can be done if you understand the conditions ie: temperature, terrain elevation, weather and if your willing to slow down to reach your destination.
On that particular trip I will stay at the speed limit or sometimes 5mph below. That gets me there with a total wh per mile much less and in the end is faster than speeding and stopping at a charger halfway.(referring to level 2 chargers)
At least for me.

Keep this important thing in mind. If your ever getting worried and start to panic about arriving to a charger SLOW DOWN. you can add amazing range to the car in an emergency if you slow way down. May be painful to be doing 10 below the speed limit but you’ll get there.
Check out some of these hyper mile tests people have done. I think 600 miles on a charge. Slow and steady wins

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
On trips of intermediate distances, the question often comes down to (i) do I slow down, possibly to a speed below the speed limit and therefore able to skip an in between charging stop and go straight to the destination (but likely with only nominal state of charge and no contingency for an accident, detour etc); OR (ii) drive the speed limit (or faster - normal course of traffic) but have to stop before the destination for a quick supercharger top up and arrive with some margin of error / safety.

Counter intuitively, sometimes, it is faster (from an over all trip perspective) to drive faster, and do a quick splash and dash and get to the destination comfortably, rather than having to drive "slow" but not stop to charge, and drive direct with no stops.

Reactions: Russell
On trips of intermediate distances, the question often comes down to (i) do I slow down, possibly to a speed below the speed limit and therefore able to skip an in between charging stop and go straight to the destination (but likely with only nominal state of charge and no contingency for an accident, detour etc); OR (ii) drive the speed limit (or faster - normal course of traffic) but have to stop before the destination for a quick supercharger top up and arrive with some margin of error / safety.

Counter intuitively, sometimes, it is faster (from an over all trip perspective) to drive faster, and do a quick splash and dash and get to the destination comfortably, rather than having to drive "slow" but not stop to charge, and drive direct with no stops.
Completely agree. As long as the quick splash is from a supercharger and it’s late enough in the trip segment to be a lower battery charge state.
I have plenty of trips that only destination chargers are only option to get an extra 20-30 miles I need to arrive with comfortable margin in which case I just have to drive slower.
My S 75 is just a bit to small with only 240 miles to always work out with the designed supercharger location frequency. It works much better with the newer models of cars capable of 290 and up. I would love to have a new raven with 370miles. I’m so used to my 240 range it would seem like driving forever!
Of course these days my bladder has a range of 200 miles so may not matter.