Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip and Charging Cable Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning a road trip between San Diego to Phoenix and back. (~750 miles total)

I currently have only the charging cable that came with the vehicle, which is plugged into the Nema 14‑50 connector in the garage. Does anyone have a recommendation as to whether I should unplug the charging cable in the garage and throw it in the trunk or is that not needed?

In other words, do you recommend having a charging cable with you on a road trip, or can I depend upon the Tesla Superchargers?

I always plan on a plan B, road trips are how I use my Teslas and the USA is a big place.

I have the mobile connector and the Nema 14-50 plug, BUT also have the 110v edison just in case as a super-third-level backup emergency option.
If you somehow find yourself at a non-functional Tesla charger, any nearby RV park can be your refuge with that 50 amp plug. This HAS HAPPENED to me in Missouri, where a destination charger (J1772) was non-functional and the nearest other options were 60 miles in either direction. There was an RV park 1 mile away that I powered from instead. If I didn't have the connector with me.... I'd still be there.

Upvote 0
As a general rule of thumb I bring all of my charging stuff with me if I’m going more than one charging stop away from home base.

You probably won’t need it but if you do need to find some alternate charging solution, it won’t do you any good sitting back in your garage. Not saying you need to buy a bunch of other stuff but just bring whatever you have.

Bruce.

PS. You didn’t mention this but if you have a J1772 adapter bring that too.

Upvote 0
Ok (from a paranoid Tesla driver )
I carry my mobile adapter with adapters for
- NEMA 1-15 (110v 15 amp, normal household)
- NEMA 1-20 (110v 20 amp, have found these in a number of parking garages, will charge faster (well fast being a relative term))
- NEMA 14-50 (Normal outlet you'll see most EV EVSEs plugged into
- NEMA 14-30 (Current use dryer outlets)

I was carrying a SETEC CCS adapter, but it was not the most reliable thing and limited to 50A. Just had the kit installed so my car is compatible with the Tesla CCS adapter, and while I haven't tested, should be good for up to 150kw (my car usually tops out at 120kw at the SC, so that's what I would expect would be my top CCS rate)

At one time or another I've used all of the adapters. Not always in 'anger,' but I would say the 110 adapters have worked out well for airport parking garages and the CCS adapter (SETEC) saved my bacon twice. Both times SC at the airport (JFK) were unavailable and the car was at less than 20%. Ran over to the EVolveNY (EA) CCS charger and brought the battery up to an acceptable level so it could be put in the employee parking lot.

Upvote 0
OK. Another charger question. As I indicated above, I currently have the mobile charging package that came with the vehicle, which is plugged into the NEMA 14‑50 connector in the garage. And it works fine. I believe I have a 100 AMP service into that plug. However, I accidentally ordered that Tesla Wall Connector as well when I purchased the car. (I screwed up because I starting ordering things before the [2023 Tesla Model S] was delivered and I thought I would need the Tesla Wall Connector.)

Anyway, the question I have is, "if I have an electrician wire up the Tesla Wall Connector will I see any advantage, or is it basically the same thing as I already have?"

Upvote 0
Ok (from a paranoid Tesla driver )
I carry my mobile adapter with adapters for
- NEMA 1-15 (110v 15 amp, normal household)
- NEMA 1-20 (110v 20 amp, have found these in a number of parking garages, will charge faster (well fast being a relative term))

Apologies in advance for being pedantic, but these are NEMA 5-15 and 5-20’s, not NEMA 1’s. The 5 series are 120V w/ ground. The mobile connector gets all sorts of unhappy without ground. ;-)

Reactions: PEMDAS
Upvote 0
OK. Another charger question. As I indicated above, I currently have the mobile charging package that came with the vehicle, which is plugged into the NEMA 14‑50 connector in the garage. And it works fine. I believe I have a 100 AMP service into that plug. However, I accidentally ordered that Tesla Wall Connector as well when I purchased the car. (I screwed up because I starting ordering things before the [2023 Tesla Model S] was delivered and I thought I would need the Tesla Wall Connector.)

Anyway, the question I have is, "if I have an electrician wire up the Tesla Wall Connector will I see any advantage, or is it basically the same thing as I already have?"

It would depend on which wall connector you purchased, but based on the timing of your car purchase I am going to assume you got the third generation wall connector that is designed for (usually) no more than a 50 amp breaker. The results from that will be basically the same as with the mobile connector, as the charging speed will not appreciably increase by adding only 8 amps over the mobile connector. The difference might be 3 miles per hour of charging.

Upvote 0
no need to drag the charge cable with you for such a short trip also there are a crap load of supercharges along that route. in all hte years ive had my car ive nearly never traveled with the charge cable it always stays at home, The only time i take it with me is if im going to a campground that i can plug into for the convenience factor. (this was before i started towing a trailer).

Upvote 0