Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Service Appointment, what to expect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not exactly how cell networks and towers work :) The phone and your car are typically in the same physical location. As long as both have good coverage, the connection should not drop. Nothing to do with California or your distance away from it.

Tesla can see an impressive amount of information via remote diagnostics. They should be able to review the logs if you tell them when you see/saw the 'car may not restart' alert and determine the root cause. This is a more generalized message but can be tied to the motor, cooling system, 12V battery, etc...

Will be covered under warranty (no deductible) and they should not charge a diagnostic fee. They may list one on the service invoice but it will be waived assuming they find the issue(s) reported.

You can contact the service center and ask them for remote diagnostics (they may initiate that request on their own to get a head start on the troubleshooting). They will ask you to provide a specific date/time for them to look in the logs.

Depending on the issue, I would opt for mobile service. In your case I think you made the right call with a service center appointment. If they offer a loaner, take it. I personally hate the Uber credit approach.

Can always count on you to chime in Danny! So do you suggest I call them over the phone and ask about the remote diagnostic over the phone before driving to the appointment?

Agreed... Would like a loaner over the stupid Uber thing...

My car came from Dallas used but was shipped to me in the Seattle area. We have the same front license plate law here. On my old Tesla I had it for three and a half years and never put the front plate on. Despite being pulled over a couple times it wasn’t ever an issue. The one I have now that came from down there already had the front plate holder (bolted....eeeeeekkkkk....on) had it been held on any other way I still would not have a front plate. IMO it takes something away. But it doesn’t stop me from loving the car. Enjoy.

Thanks Aly... When the cops pulled you over... What did you say to them? Maybe I get lucky too haha :)! Yeah... The face-lift ones come mounted with that stupid mount... :-(...

Wish me luck guys... Let's see how Tesla treats me after letting me bake in the Texas sun for 4 hours with their delivery surprises :)...!