Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fit & Finish Issues - Which ones would you ask to be corrected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my M3 AWD LR last Wednesday. Found a few minor defects so far. I"m sure I will find more as I look at the car closer.
  • The biggest one is the drivers door, either the door or latch is a bit off. It makes it hard to close the door. As you close you can feel it hitting the latch
  • One of the sonar sensors is not totally flush with the rear bumper.
  • There is a tiny paint chip on the top of the trunk
  • The chrome trimming just below the wood stripe on the dash is scuffed right in front of the passenger.
  • Outdated software.
I knew what I was getting into, mostly in part by this community, so actually pleasantly surprised to be honest. But coming from a 2017 Lexus RX, there is a huge difference in fit and finish.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Read my post about the 3 vs the X. The 3 is a relatively noisy car, don’t believe in the fanboys saying how perfect it is. I like my car, but it isn’t perfect like a lot of reviews claim
Oh yeah believe me when I say I know the difference between the 2 since I switch back and forth every other day. Just curious if this is the norm or not. It might be the norm. Set AP and leaned over as much as I could to the passenger side and it sorta sounds the same.

The one I picked up must be in the top 1%. The bumper gap to the trunk was obvious, the line up of the front quarter panels was a little off, small amount of paint off of the door by the lower center of handle, and some paint chipped off of the bottom rocker where it meets the front passenger door. And I thought that was lousy.

5517A138-45B0-45A2-9986-194C8D295C8F.jpeg
Let’s add another thing to the list. How about they put a 10mm there during the build???
:p:D:eek::oops:

The gap on one side of my hood is a little bigger than the other side and the emblem seems to be crooked/tilted and not centered by a little. There was also a very small paint chip that looks like someone poked it with a toothpick when it was wet. Went to a service center for another issue and told them about my hood as well and they are ordering me a brand new hood which should come in 2-3 weeks. Not sure if a new hood will fix the gap issue though.

Attachments

• IMG-2029.jpg
    IMG-2029.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG-2028.jpg
    IMG-2028.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 82
The gap on one side of my hood is a little bigger than the other side and the emblem seems to be crooked/tilted and not centered by a little. There was also a very small paint chip that looks like someone poked it with a toothpick when it was wet. Went to a service center for another issue and told them about my hood as well and they are ordering me a brand new hood which should come in 2-3 weeks. Not sure if a new hood will fix the gap issue though.
I am a big fan of Tesla and particularly the Model 3. However, this issue is the type of thing that I do not understand. Some have said they have seen other manufacturer's cars with the same issue. I haven't. My 2002 Lexus LS430 didn't have any of these issues. Even my 1998 Range Rover (Rover not exactly known for reliability) had no fir and finish issues. Neither of our other cars have this. When I was out and about (pre-virus), I paid attention of same size but inexpensive cars....no issues. There is no reason or excuse why Tesla should be having these problems three years into production. Some on this forum may give me a hard time about this post, but I am not bashing the brand. I am merely being critical as to why a current auto manufacturer is not getting the basic fit and finish done right.

• Informative
Reactions: 12ed5ive
I am a big fan of Tesla and particularly the Model 3. However, this issue is the type of thing that I do not understand. Some have said they have seen other manufacturer's cars with the same issue. I haven't. My 2002 Lexus LS430 didn't have any of these issues. Even my 1998 Range Rover (Rover not exactly known for reliability) had no fir and finish issues. Neither of our other cars have this. When I was out and about (pre-virus), I paid attention of same size but inexpensive cars....no issues. There is no reason or excuse why Tesla should be having these problems three years into production. Some on this forum may give me a hard time about this post, but I am not bashing the brand. I am merely being critical as to why a current auto manufacturer is not getting the basic fit and finish done right.

Totally get you. Coming from multiple Lexus for the past 20 years or so, you see the difference. That was my original hesitation to getting one. But Tesla has come a long way and steadily improving.

the MSM you are likely getting was one I had my eye on in inventory. I bet it has something like 3 miles on it. im still waiting for a VIN and I ordered before you (feb 7th) but all black inside and out fully loaded options. im thinking about getting an existing inventory because im tired of waiting. ill give it a couple more days and then im pulling the trigger on something.

• Disagree
Reactions: jebinc
I picked mine up yesterday. Fit and finish is average. The only real issue I saw was that the driver's side headlamp has a pretty significant gap on the edge along the frunk and is right up against the fender on the other edge. The passenger side is more or less centered. That's probably going to annoy me enough to adjust it because I don't want the headlight assembly to rub off the paint where it is touching/overlapping the fender seam. I also hear something occasionally rattle in the passenger side door. I'll probably leave that alone until the office spins back up (my workplace is within walking distance of the dealer) and just let the dealer take care of that one.

Overall, I'm really enjoying the car and learning about all the fancy features.

Best,

I rejected delivery today of my MSM Performance. All it took for me was one gouge on the front bumper. I didnt even bother inspecting the rest of the car to avoid wasting anyone's time.

Front bumper is an easy fix for Tesla because they come pre painted from the factory. So if that's all that was wrong with it, and you could have gotten them to agree to the replace the bumper, you missed out from being hasty. The next ones might be worse.