Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixed vs multi-gear drivetrain when comparing vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mongo

May 3, 2017
Michigan
Given the fixed vs multi-gear drivetrain difference along with motor top RPM disparity, are the motor torques really a good number for comparing to other vehicles? If the X had half the top speed, the gearing would be half, and wheel torque/ low end acceleration would be double (assuming super sticky tires) for the same motors. Seems to me like the wheel torque curve of X vs ICE (motor vs RPM vs gear) would be a better representation of the difference between the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I compare torque of 2000 lbs and 4000 lbs vehicles?
I can, as I can also compare oranges and cats. The results are rather meaningless on both occasions, though,
There is this thing called weight that determines acceleration. But toque changes with RPM and so does speed, so?

It all boils done to a simple fact: the only good representation of vehicle performance is a chart of its max acceleration at various speeds.
This is what you feel with your butt-dyno, this is what you experience at HW passing, this is what you experience at traffic lights, from standstill or from 5mph.

Such charts are not published anywhere, unfortunately. But if there is a torque curve, one can translate it into acceleration/speed chart.

Do we have Model 3, Model S, Model X torque charts?

Agreed, my post was originally an (admittedly not what OP was asking for, and declared as such) reply in another thread. It was moved here and intro line with disclaimer removed.

ICE: peak HP occurs once per gear with peak wheel torque/ acceleration decreasing each time
EV: peak HP occurs once. Peak torque does too, but extends a long ways from 0 RPM.

there was a post on facebook a Model 3 dyno test, and got about 393HP, and did a calculation of about 500ftpunds torque... I have no idea if its accurate..since I don't know how any of that works.

Given the fixed vs multi-gear drivetrain difference along with motor top RPM disparity, are the motor torques really a good number for comparing to other vehicles? If the X had half the top speed, the gearing would be half, and wheel torque/ low end acceleration would be double (assuming super sticky tires) for the same motors. Seems to me like the wheel torque curve of X vs ICE (motor vs RPM vs gear) would be a better representation of the difference between the two.
0-60 is what counts... is the only thing that counts. That's what you feel in you daily driving.

Reactions: FarmerDave