Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixing noise from rear seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello.

I would like to share how I fixed noise from the rear seats. I am seeing there are several different causes of noise, but I think some of them are quite similar to what I had.

Most of all, for my case, the noise comes from the plastic in the picture.
upload_2020-7-15_22-59-34-png.565050

Here is the link for the recording of the noise.

I tried to schedule a service to fix it, but they just postponed it because of their covid regulation (I am in CA). It was too annoying, and I couldn't wait for the service. Also, I am not fully sure if they can fix it. Fortunately, my friend helped me.
Long story short, my friend took out the bottom part of the seats. (I don't know how he did. he said that he found a Youtube clip showing to do that for Model 3, and that he did in the same way.)

_KzxXAFOeN-o253WOx2x7nB-Pn8GgjRaePmKYPvqql7PVJX7K2rNG0kBLb9tNPmvtb7vdIhDoX3mTpvvTaCqc30CPHejNZNnC2sZ0TCP_1bVUfuf6uAaePk3_7wZuo-tYorFdwAvNRCpH9srbWNBecMqsJhxn-OhgzQnzvZcbtWdxZTRZ-63WnP38GRPMTPWLQplMbHWq2zC-duYqzE7IQ-i8fRj3sGbMi47dCkn-UIdfp8Uc-IONOeQ-HRqwfLxP8aUVa6LVV9AYsbiDJYqUFXjsmPHPbQxPQ5r_lvKJ4KXwV_OM7FupjykKJLMFSo-QhOaheAZSmCm3uwstIXjNwqCO4VJHQ9V1hYcQJyZDh0tN0DM07w8xVwqEfwofDBn0qXQrPKdu_Q9DbIEU0A99EydKpkeEVn22K2_9VYJpicASSuHryC3J9rbM6Vyvp3XdbsYveUZ9TJyAznAdoMHRWQjcUNskeRmtpP6rTrCkfkxKNC2Fmva1TxEoNavw4WhaiNY4mcjwvkYBs7NolGF_05USTdgKngO6ylMJSJnKfze_OTGtTHxmJUM8YkIAv_NRLptGd40kbuKJlFb1wz6Y_5PcQVLDuUHKOH3Nlrs8aw-kfTA-GFcJk3Lf50sxaz6I5pfYT0ynb209ys9fpwirdMo1CMTOFy-FJ1oOn38MAo5lxcDKhZaV6yPOo4g_xg=w1716-h1287-no

Then, inside of the plastic cover, I could touch another plastic part. While driving, if I touch it, the noise is gone. I think somethings are hitting inside each other. So, as a quick solution, I inserted some small sponges inside shown as the two arrows in the photo, while hoping the sponges to help to hold the somethings.

Now, I don't hear the noise. Considering that I have to insert some sponges there in the $60+K brand new car, it is not a beautiful solution, but I am satisfying the result.

I hope this helps to resolve other similar cases.